Coraline and Sea Urchins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Another topic was talking about clean up crews.... and it was mentioned that Urchins will eat coraline algea.

I have one unidentified Urchin (almost 2 inches across, minus the spines), and about 160 lbs of LR in my 90g. I really don't want my rocks to be covered in coraline... I don't like the look of all purple rocks, but I would like to see SOME color. Will this Urchin eat TOO much coraline for me to have any at all, or is coraline something that it supplements its diet with?

Attachments

• urchin_145.jpg
    urchin_145.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 44
They eat some coralline but in my opinion, not really enough to notice. Your urchin looks like a pin cushion urchin.

Thanks, Fluff!

Are their different colors or variations of 'pincushion' urchins? I Googled that, and saw some with black spines, some I thought were 'hairy' urchins (short spines, look furry), and something I thought was called a 'tuxedo' urchin (short-ish spines, dark and light contrasting 'bands'.)

Is 'pincushion' urchin a catch all name, like 'clown fish'?

I ended up with 3 urchins that hitchiked on my LR. 2 pencils and one purple urchin. They purple urchin eats coraline like mad. He really depleted some spots bad. And he grew super fast too. So i threw him and his pencil urchin buddy into the sump. Then i just found another one the other day in the main.

IMO, they eat too much coraline. But i wouldn't go so far to say they'll deplete your supply of it. I don't think that's possible. They might eat most of it but they'll never eat it all. FWIW, they keep my sump really clean:shrug:

Your describing three different species. The species I'm thinking of is Tripneustes gratilla that live aquaria lists as hairy. But yeah, color is variable.

Back
Top Bottom