CORALINE IS TURNING WHITE!!! WHY????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AK47

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
THE CORALINE IN MY TANK IS TURNING FROM PURPLE TO WHITE.
IM NOT SURE WHY... RIGHT NOW IM WORKING ON DROPING THE NITRATE LEVEL. IT IS HIGH. I DONT KNOW WHY. I JUST ADDED A GOLD STIPE CLOWN TO MY TANK AND REMOVED A TOMATOE AND VELVET DAMSEL JUST 2 WEEKS AGO. ANY ADVISE TO CONTROL THIS HIGH LEVEL. I JUST DID A 5 GAL WATER CHANGE. I DONT THINK THAT HELPED THE LEVEL WAS THE SAME. IM THINKING OF DOING A 15 TO 20 GAL WATER CHANGE.. I AM ALSO GETTING A SLIGHT COAT OF BROWN ALGE ON MY GLASS.
I HAVE A PURPLE TANG A GOLDEN STRIP CLOWN, A SCOOTER BLENNY.
A CARPET AND CONDY, AND A FEATHER DUSTER. ALSO 2 CRABS AND 2 TURBO SNAILS. 55 GAL WITH CRUSHED CORAL. POWER COMPACTS 260 WATTS.
THANKS

What sized tank?
What are your other levels?

I AM USING A API MASTER TEST KIT. THE AMMONIA NITRITE AND PH ARE IN GOOD RANGE I DONT RECALL WHAT THEY WERE BUT THE NITRATE WAS VERY HIGH. I HAVE BEEN DOING MONTHLY WATER CHANGES OF 5 GAL. AND TOP OFF DAILY. MAYBE NOT ENOUGH WATER CHANGES HUH???I DID THE WATER CHANGE THE FIRST SUNDAY THIS MONTH AND I DID IT AGAIN THIS PAST SUNDAY AFTER SEENING THE NITRATE LEVEL.
DO YOU WANT ME TO RETEST EVERYTHING ??? 55 GAL/..

Do you vacuum your CC substrate? Sometimes that can trap waste and lead to high nitrAtes. 5 gallons of water is probably not enough. I usually do about 15-20 (it may be a little less, since my bucket doesn't have any markings on it).

HELP

YES I TRY AND GO OVER ALL THE C-C WHEN I DO A WATER CHANGE. IT LOOKS PRETTY DIRTY WHEN I VACCUM IT. SHOULD I REMOVE MY ROCK AND VACCUM THE SUBSTRATE THOROGHLY, THEN DO A BIG WATER CHANGE??? ARE MY LIGHT GOOD ENOUGH Orbit Extreme 2x65 watt 2x65 watt DAYLIGHT AND ACITIC

You`ll need to test for Calcium and Alkalinity. This link will help to let you know where you need to be. Weekly PWC`s will help to replenish you calcium and alk levels. Also when you type in capital letters that means you are screaming or hollering. Just letting you know. Post your calcium and alk levels. I`ll bet they are low.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

i will have to go and get a test kit tomorrow...
thanks for the info.. i will be more QUIET from now on... :lol: :lol: :lol:

How often do you change your media out in your filter? Does your filter use sponges? A 20-25% PWC is a good idea for a 55g tank.

melosu58 said:
Post your calcium and alk levels. I`ll bet they are low.

I agree with melosu58 - I'll put money on Ca at about 300-320 ppm. I know my purple started fading when my Ca hit 320ppm. Before that, I didn't realize it sucked that much up.

Once you know your Ca/Alk levels, give this one a read too...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

...assuming low Ca is the problem. But I got a feeling it is. (Don't ignore the high nitrates though!)

Ack, sorry I didn't answer your question about the coraline, I got caught up in the nitrAtes. Thank guys for the assist! (even though the title asks about coraline....)

No problem Scott. There are two problems here. Low calcium and Alk and High nitrates. Between all of us we got them all.

LOL! It's all about teamwork!
AK47, any updates?

UPDATE

thanks to all who have helped with thier advise. i do use a sponde filter in my tank and i change it out usualy once a month. i just changed it today, it was getting pretty bad. i clean it once a week though.
i tested the alk and it is 1.5 i used a red sea alk-ph test kit.
i cound not find a calcium test kit..??? i went to pets co.
i have 20 gal of water almost ready for the wc. once the salt level is good . i will do the wc tomorow night..
thanks everybody....
how long should i wait after the wc to test the water??

I'm assuming your alk reading is 1.5 meq/l ? If that's the case, it's a little low. You want it closer to 3.0 meq/l. I'm guessing your pH might be a little low also. How long has your tank been up and running? I'm not an expert, but I don't think alkalinity alone would cause issues with the coraline algae. If you want your coraline algae to come back, most likely you're going to need to know your Ca levels so you might call around to some other fish stores to see if they have one.

As long as you are putting in aged saltwater (not freshly mixed) there's no reason you can't retest your water immediately after a water change. Just give it a little time (30 minutes or so?) to mix up with the old water.

Kurt_Nelson said:
most likely you're going to need to know your Ca levels so you might call around to some other fish stores to see if they have one.

You are going to need to know this. A calcium test kit is needed. Ask your LFS if he will test for you.

Well everyone is jumping to assume it is water parameters but, i know deeper red and purple coraline grow in less light. And can become white or grow white in high light output situations. What do you have for lites and how long are they on? Most people dont understand it doesnt take alot of light to grow coraline. And to much light can fade it!

UPDATE

I COULD NOT FIND A CALCIUM TEST KIT..
I DID A WATER CHANGE AND THE READINGS ARE
PH 7.8
NITRATE 2.0PPM
AMMONIA 0
NITRITE 0
ALK 1.7
THE TEST KIT SAID 1.7 TO 2.8 IS NORMAL ON THE ALK.
WILL THE ALK RISE LATER OR WILL I NEED TO ADD A BUFFER?

I HAVE AN ORBIT EXTREME (1) 130w Dual Daylight and (1) 130w Dual Actinic. IT IS ON ACTINIC AT 8:00 AM DAYLIGHTS 30 MIN LATER.
AT 7PM DAYLIGHTS OFF 30 MIN LATER ACTINIC OFF.
4 LED MOONLIGHTS FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT..
MY TANK HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR A YEAR.

I don't think too much light is an issue here. You had coralline until recently right? When have you changed your lamps last? Also alk levels that low will cause issue w/ calcareous animals, etc. including coralline. Alk should be no lower than NSW -2.8, and more like 3-4 meg/l in a reef. Ca should be balanced and between 380-440 for coralline etc. to flourish. NO3 should not be an issue as long as it's under ~15. You need to add a buffer. Baking soda, ie arm & hammer, works great, and it's cheap. If you bake it in an oven at 400 deg. for an hour, before use, it's even more efficient, and then it will increase PH rather than lower it. You can also make your own buffer solution by adding teaspoons to a measured amount of water. Slowly raise the alk over a week or so. I would recommend increasing by no more than .5 meg/l in a day and not at once. Kent Turbo calcium is great for boosting Ca levels.
Here is a calculator to help w/ the dosing-
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html
Please stop typing in caps, it's kind of rude and hard on the eyes :wink:

ANY ADVISE TO CONTROL THIS HIGH LEVEL.
Run a good skimmer, don't over feed or over stock, clean all mechanical filtration at least every 4-7 days, run GAC frequently, use as much LR as possible, and do regular 10-20% PWC's w/ NO3 free water. You may want to consider ditching the CC for LS. Have you tested your source water for NO3?

Back
Top Bottom