coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serafin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys my tank has been up and running now for just over a year and all is going well. My peices if live rock have patches of coralline algae growing but the base rock I added at the same time are showing now signs of any. Any ways to help the coralline algae to take over all the rocks as I love the way it looks?

It takes time. You can try taking a toothbrush or credit card to the patches you have and gently brush them to try to seed more around the tank. Not always really effective, but have heard of it working. Just shut off filtration before hand so it can float around rather than get skimmed out.

What sniper said. Eventually it will spread. Just leave the skimmer and filters off for a few minutes to let the coralline "shavings" spread around before turning everything back on. I have heard of an accelerator for coralline algae but I have never used it. My lfs has some but like I said I haven't had a problem with the scraping some off a rock and let it spread method so I never gave it a second look.

You don't want to use chemicals to speed up the natural process in a reef, you'll probally regret it later as it is very hard to get off of your fron glass. I have nine in my dt dye to my urchin, I grow tons of it in the sump with a compact Florissant buld from lowes, I put my urchin in the sump every few weeks to feast

Yea I really don't like using chemicals at all, I want nature to take its course and work its self out. Right now ironically I'm in the midst of an epic battle with cyano. Even still I wouldn't even consider using chemical additives.

I heard you can put some in a blender and pour it in.

Back
Top Bottom