Coralline Algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a way to prevent the coralline algae from getting on the viewing sides of your tank? I get a lot of those purple circular spots on my front and side glass every week. I scrape them off, but they just keep coming back. Kind of a pain, cause they aren't the easiest thing to clean off.

Just curious if everyone goes through the same pain or if there is a way to prevent these from attaching.

Thanks!

IME, no......it grows where it wants. I wouldnt call it a pain, I think it makes a tank look much better and mature.....put it this way, if it wasnt growing, something would be wrong!

Get a razor and some turbo snails....they dont eat it off the rocks, but they do eat it off the glass, atleast the center of the algae spot, the bumpy part, then it is easy to scrape off the rest!

My tank is viewable from all sides, so I scrape mine off. I agree, it will grow where it finds a nice comfortable place and is a great indication of a healthy tank!

Be careful what you wish for. Scrapping is all you can do. Be glad you have a healthy tank.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad to hear it means all is well in my little saltwater habitat. :) I'll see about getting some Turbos to help with the cleaning! Other than that, been using a Kent plastic scraper which is ok, but have to apply a lot of pressure with it. Gonna go hunt for a good razor blade to make things easier.

That's great to hear! I am having this same "problem" in the last few weeks. All of the sudden the last few weeks it has started to grow all over the glass in my tank too, and I was kind of annoyed at first...now that I know it's a good sign, I'll deal with it! :)

Paul

Just out of curiosity, my coralline is green on the glass. Is this the beginning stage of the purple algae or is my just a different kind? TIA........

Back
Top Bottom