coralline algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvoros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, sorry i have not posted in a while but my wife just gave birth to our first child, Alex. I have been very busy to say the least heh. In a few years maybe i will have a helper for the the tank ;)

Anyway, my question is this: I know coralline algae does best with low nitrate levels ~0-5 on the salifert scale, i was wondering what is way to high for coralline algae? I have been battleing high nitrates for a while and am slowly starting to bring my numbers down, they where off the scale now they are at 30ish and slowly dropping.

Dave

Congrats on the new arrival (y)

Coralline tends to thrive when phosphates are low and calcium/alkalinity are in balance. To answer your question, I do think your nitrates are a little high but not necessarily a problem here.. however you should try to aim for something under 10 if at all possible.

Congrats on your new addition. :angel: High nitrates tend to favor the growth of more undesirable algaes but your alk and ca play a bigger role. You may have a few sleepless nights coming so maybe you could use them to do some more water changes. :)

lol you can say that again Phases :) Tomorrow i am goig out to get the alk and ca tests to see where i am at. Will post those values as well when i know em :)

Dave

Ok i tested my alk and ca and here is what i came up with... Tests are Salifert.

alk (Kh) 7.4
(alk) 2.63

CA 400 ish or 450 (depending on when i read the syringe)

I also have a question on how to read the CA test. Do you stop and take a reading when some of the liquid turns blue and there is some pink solids floating at the bottom of the vial? Or do you keep going till the whole vial is a clear blue with no pink at the bottom?

Dave

YOu need to mix the powder in good before adding the drops.. Then add drops until there is only blue. Once you see blue stop adding and swirl if it turns pink again add another drop and so on till its all blue.
400-450 is good the alk can come up slowly to high 9 to low 11 or so.

Ok, Seaham, I have jus started using a 2 part buffering solution 3 times a week. Is this the correct thing to raise the alk and keep the CA raised?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom