coralline algae seeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I remember seeing an add on a web page selling this stuff that is supposed to help you grow coralline algae. I think its bits of coralline algae in a stake or something that you put near the rock and it will spread to it. I don't remember or remember where i saw it. Does anyone know what i am talking about, where to find it, or if it even works? Any good tips on getting coralline algae to start to spread?

Just pick up some Live Rubble that has Coraline on it and wedge it in your tank between your rocks.

I have LR with coralline algae on it, but it isn't exactly spreading like wild fire, thats why i was curious of ways to speed it up. I've been keeping my calcium at 400 and I've improved the amount of lighting in the tank as well. I know you need patience with a lot of stuff in sw, but i see no reason to not help speed this along if there is a way.

I bought some coraline plugs from IPSF.com 2 months ago, at first I thouth they were crappy little plastic pieces with some algea on them. Now I am eating my words! After two months I have big spots of coraline all over every rock including the 45 pounds of base rock that was comletely barren. I got them in addition to the 9 for $99 special and have to say I am very satisfied.

hmmm.. never heard og that but sounds cool...oh well right now my rocks are alll totally purple

I used this in the beginning when I olny had a dime spot of coralline algae...3 years later I have layers upon layers of deep purple and pink coralline..I don't use it any more but it does work.

You don't have to use as much as it say's.

Coral Vital - The Reef Life Energizer!

Enhances growth of coralline algae, anemones, sea mushrooms, and sponges. Promotes coral polyp regeneration and reproduction; aids damaged corals. Causes cryptocaryon, "saltwater ick", to become dormant. Not a trace element replacement. Not a medication or fertilizer. Enhances ability of photosynthetic marine organisms to obtain nutrients from water and utilize light. Contains all natural, non-toxic aquatic biological enzyme catalysts. For aquarium and aquaculture use only. Contains no nitrates, phosphates, silicates, algicides, or medicaments. Directions: Continue use of kalkwasser, strontium, and necessary additives. Calcium consumption may increase as organisms grow faster. Trace element consumption may decrease as bio availability is increased. Provide adequate light. Use one teaspoon per 100 gallons per day for the first 30 days or until coralline growth is sufficient. May then be reduced to 2 or 3 times a week. 6 oz will treat approximately 125 gallons of water; daily dosed for about a month.

8 oz bottle $17.00
16 oz bottle $30.00
32 oz bottle $50.00

CORAL-VITAL
A Marc Weiss Product

Enhances growth of coraline algaes. Promotes coral polyp regeneration and reproduction.

Causes Cryptocaryon ("Saltwater Ich") to become dormant. Corals "open up"; adhesion to substrate is accelerated. Breaks down ammonia and nitrates. Enhances utilization of organic wastes to create an ongoing cycle.

With continued use colorful Coraline algae growth can 'choke out" and overtake hair, green, brown, blue and red algaes such as slime and bubble algaes. Increase dosage to cycle new aquariums, acclimate new fishes, corals and marine life and enhance their reproduction.

NOT A TRACE ELEMENT REPLACEMENT. NOT A MEDICATION OR FERTILIZER. ENHANCES ABILITY OF PHOTOSYNTHETIC MARINE ORGANISMS TO OBTAIN NUTRIENTS FROM WATER AND UTILIZE LIGHT. CONTAINS ALL ,NATURAL NON - TOXIC AQUATIC BIOLOGICAL ENZYME CATALYSTS. FOR AQUARIUM AND AQUACULTURE USE ONLY. CONTAINS NO NITRATES, PHOSPHATES, ALGICIDES, OR MEDICAMENTS.

Directions: Continue use of kalkwasser, strontium, and necessary additives. Provide adequate light. Use one teaspoon per 100 gallons per day for the first thirty days or when coraline growth is sufficient. May then be reduced to two or three times a week. Non - toxic to aquarium inhabitants at recommended dosage. Cryptocaryon becomes dormant in the presence of this product; triple dosage for a few days when adding new fish or to acclimate corals etc. Increase dose for two days before adding new specimens if possible.

Product in bottle has two year shelf life. If mixed with water for use with dosing pump; use mixture within thirty days. Contents: 6 fl. oz. of enzymatic activated biological catlalysts. Patent Pending +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Coral VitalTM is an enzymic activated biologic catalyst designed to stabilize microorganisms whose by products directly benefit corals. This process achieves a stabilization of aerobic and anaerobic processes. These processes work through the nitrogen cycle and carbonization cycle and results in decomposition of organic wastes allowing certain organisms to out compete others.

Simply put, Coral VitalTM contains natural enzymes produced by aquatic microorganisms. These enzymic catalysts will put the beneficial bacteria, coraline algaes photosynthetic corals and higher organisms into "over-drive". It will cause them to "eat" more, and grow faster and utilize light more efficiently. Organisms such as hair and slime algaes will be "starved out" by the accelerated growth of the coralines, corals, etc.

You will still need trace elements and the recommended additives for the creatures you are keeping. As they will now grow faster you may find you need to increase these substances as your organisms will consume nutrients faster. Adequate lighting is the driving force behind all photosynthetic organisms and must be maintained. If your aquarium cannot support life, Coral UitalTM will not create life; it can only enhance what already is there.

No, Coral UitalTM is not toxic to aquarium inhabitants usually desired in a reef aquarium recommended dosage should be followed .Though not toxic to humans and household pets, please keep it out of the reach of children, dogs, cats etc.- it is prepared for aquarium and aquaculture use only

If it isn't toxic you may ask how does Coral UitalTM cure saltwater ich (Cryptocaryon)? Actually, we don't exactly know! During the testing phase of the product we discovered that the ich parasite would become dormant and non-infectious when Coral UitalTM was used. These parasites are invariably always present and infect stressed fishes and/or overwhelm them. Until Coral UitalTM there were no simple, safe, effective options. Now fishes can be maintained in a reef tank free of white spots without damage to your valuable corals!

A daily dose is suggested as the Coral Vital TM is consumed rapidly by the organisms you are growing. If you stop using it for a few days it will have all been assimilated and growth patterns will simply return to what is normal for that aquarium. If the fishes present have a tendency to get ich, you would want to dose at least twice a week if not more often. Each tank is different in this regard as ich is stress related. If the fishes are aggressive to each other, ich becomes more of a problem. Such aquaria may show some random spots on the fishes that will go away once you resume dosing.

If light and nutrients are adequate double or triple dosing can be useful to speed up coraline growth, help cultured coral fragments adhere to the substrate, "cure" live rock, and regenerate injured corals. It can also help stave off ich when new fishes are introduced and help the bacteria detoxify a system where organisms have suddenly died, overloading the system.

Aquaria can be cycled with Coral Vital TM. It will continuously break down ammonia and nitrates after about twenty four hours of use and will cause rapid proliferation of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. After a few days they should be able to do the job on their own. Make sure to provide some "starter" bacteria in the form of live rock or live sand and test for ammonia daily if you won't be using Coral Vital TM every day for the first couple of weeks. Remember, our product enhances, does not replace necessary things! Yes, Coral Vital TM will break down ammonia in tap water. Dechlorinate first, and wait twenty four hours. A double or triple dose is suggested. Coral Vital TM

Does not interfere with skimmers. It is not easily removed itself before it is consumed by aquarium inhabitants.

Does not interfere with test results. Don't forget that nitrogen gas is constantly being liberated; a few ppm will therefore register.

When dosed; redox will dip a few millivolts as organisms consume extra oxygen to oxidize ammonia. It will return to previous readings in a few minutes. After several doses redox will often start to rise.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to call. We have tested Coral Vital TM extensively at both public and private aquaria, commercial facilities and in the laboratory. With literally thousands of species of organisms being kept today, exciting results are reported to us on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom