coralline question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I bought my LR from my LFS I paid an extra price because he called it "preminum live rock" and it was truly covered with lots of purple, pink red etc coralline. Now all those nice colors are starting to fade away on the top of the rocks. I do notice tht my snails seem to graze over it quite often. Is that what is probably happening, the snails are eating it? It is only fading away on the tops of the rocks, the undersides of the rocks and the crevices still have a lot of coralline. Thanks as always.
75gallon tank 440-watts VHO and 39-watts T5HO
PH-8.2
calcium-400
alkalinity- 8 or 9
ammonia nitrite nitrate 0
temp 78

... Now all those nice colors are starting to fade away on the top of the rocks. ...

...75gallon tank 440-watts VHO and 39-watts T5HO

Nice lighting! I'm jealous. But that's why your coralline is disappearing from the top. Even with 200W of PC lighting on my 46g, the upper parts of my rocks are pretty lacking in coralline.

The coralline probably just bleached out and died off from the sudden increase in lighting. It *may* come back.

I know along time ago when I added mine it turned white only to come back after a few months. I think it will come back also.

Thanks guys. Sounds kind of like a catch 22. You need lots of lighting for corals but then you lose the colorful coralline algae. But of course the unwanted algae grows with lots of light. I will just hope it comes back, if not, no biggie.

watch what you wish for. LOL I always wanted Corraline also and know everytime I have to scrape the glass I wish I had never seen it . LOL

Bright light inhibits the growth of coralline algae true. But in your tanks parameters try raising temp to 79 - 80 degrees F. Raising Calcium to 440 - 460. And then getting your alk up a bit also. I read and test in ppm rather than dKH (but convert back and forth too). Calcium, Alk, and Mg are interwoven and in keeping a balance as close to 450 Ca, 200 ALk, and 1350 mg you will find growth of corallines, corals, and coral loving macro algae all increase.

Coraline grows from calcium and light...if you provide enough of both - it will GROW GROW GROW...Every single LR I have in my tank is 75% covered in bright purple coraline, no addatives.

Coraline grows from calcium and light...if you provide enough of both - it will GROW GROW GROW...Every single LR I have in my tank is 75% covered in bright purple coraline, no addatives.

Not discounting your advice because I agree with it, but I was just scratching my head because of your other post:

The only chems I currently put in my tank is Iodine/Calcium/Carbonate

Those would be additives in most folks' book.

Just wondering, do you know what your iodine levels are at since you are dosing it? If you're not testing for it, how do you have any idea of how low or how high it is?
FWIW, I dose and test 3 things. Ca, alk and mag. IMO & IME, nothing else needs to be added. PWC's take care of everything else, as long as they are done regularly.

I am still struggling with some of your "lingo" could you clarify what FWIW, IMO and IME are. I feel like I am back in my first year of nursing school- medical terminology. It took me about three days to figure out LFS:) I am a little slow. I am sorry, I will get it soon.

land locked, for the lingo here you go

FWIW = for what its worth
IMO = in my opinion
IME = in my experience (i beleive)

In months past, the board used to have a feature where you hovered over an acronym, and it would tell you what it stood for. I *think* someone is working on getting that back. Maybe.

I feel like an idiot :bowl: Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously I am new at computers forums as well as aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom