CoralRX,,,,Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think corals can have ich, only fish can.

+1. Pretty sure coral doesn't carry it.

Are you dipping corals before you add them to your tank though to make sure nothing else gets in?

I definitely will be dipping from now on!

Can't the ich travel on the coral though since it is wet (because ich has that free swimming stage)? Or am I thinking of something else?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Ich can only live on fish. Now other parasites might be able to travel on coral, but now ich.

Correct. Ich need a living host to survive. Hence why a fallow tank will prevent the survival of it.

I think dipping your corals will overall be a good thing. Not sure about it killing ich but it will get rid of some other nasties that can hitch in on a coral.

I definitely will dip them. :)

The thought of just leaving a coral in a QT for 8 wks kills me though! That is super long time, especially if it is just a tiny frag just to get rid of ich, lol.

I have never qt'd a coral. maybe I'm a terrible person but so far I have been ok. other than the flatworms I let in twice I've done ok. But dipping every coral would have prevented the flatworms. lol

I have never qt'd a coral. maybe I'm a terrible person but so far I have been ok. other than the flatworms I let in twice I've done ok. But dipping every coral would have prevented the flatworms. lol

Have you ever bought a coral from a tank that had fish with ich?

The LFS I would be buying my coral from has UV sterilizers, but those only take out a small portion of the free swimming ich. :(

The fish in his coral tanks don't have ich as far as I can tell, but I guess it could be in the water. :(

To be honest, I think you are worrying too much. :-D

Each of us takes a risk when we get new livestock and we can only do so much, like qt'ing the new guys. I would buy only healthy looking fish from a store that is clean with no dead fish in the tanks and no outward signs of disease. Spend a good amount of time watching the fish you have in mind, I spend like a half hour or more checking out a new tank candidate.

Do the best you can do, some things are out of our control and unfortunately makes us go into reactive mode rather than proactive.

Hope that all didn't sound mean! LOL I just want you to enjoy your tanks and not worry so much. :)

Nope, didn't sound mean at all! :)

I think the amount of times I would get ich off of a coral is pretty rare. I figure even if the coral did have some degree of ich after being in a UV sterilized environment, by the time I did the whole dipping process and put the new coral in the tank, it would be gone.

Back
Top Bottom