Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravden

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am piecing together to make a reef tank out of a spare 30 gal what are some of the best starter corals

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

any softies like mushroom and leather and zoas. a green star polyp and kenya tree is what i started with. you can also do some hard LPS like candy cane and hammer coral if you want to get your hands dirty a bit.

Mushrooms, zoanthids, really any soft corals make great beginner corals. What type of lighting will you be running, that will really determine the corals you can keep

Any of those need a power head still undecided if I want to start with one or go with low currents then add once tank hopefully takes off

They all need a powerhead. Corals breath by receiving oxygen from the oceans currents. Low flow leads to tons of issues in sw. You want 20-30 x total tank water per hour

30 gal and thanks wasn't sure if I'd need one for the low currants

For this 30 gallon project once it's all cycled and ready for fish I was thinking 2 clowns a green goby a few cromis. Starfish snails shrimp would I have room for any more fish then 6

I would switch the Chromis out for a single fish, IME they have a low survival rate in smaller aquariums. I would say 4 fish is stocked in your size tank.

This is my first SW so just reading as much as I can so I do it right the first time...

I have a 30 gal with a firefish, a clown fish, flame angel, and a chromis and that is more than enough fish for a 30 gal. Don't get more than 4. I would even say 3 is perfect especially if you plan on doing corals as well.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't the filefish get at inverts? And I want to try some corals once it's a little established

Not a filefish. A firefish. Its a type of goby. Filefish do get at corals and inverts.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom