Corals dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The goby went missing about a week ago.. Parameters have been normal range .. I still keep testing water parameters every three days or so.

On Friday evening when I came home I noticed the corals seemed to b kinda melting away n foul fishy smell. Tested everything n the only thing that was up was the nitrates 40 ppm.. I last tested on Tuesday... So started to collect rodi water.

When I do water changes I use rodi water n since I can only make but so much water,I change about 50 gallons at a time but let it sit overnight with pump running so that the salt mixes well.

it's no problem. i just wish i could have been a bigger help. large water changes are the only thing i can say at this point. sorry for your trouble.

it's no problem. i just wish i could have been a bigger help. large water changes are the only thing i can say at this point. sorry for your trouble.

I use the expensive testing kit for CA and MAG - it comes in Gray box (forgot the brand) but they go for about $35 each.

Should I also buy the expensive kits for other parameters? which do you recomment Mr. X?

I think you have a chain reaction happening. MrX is right, immediate water changes. The first fish fouled the water enough for the soft corals to collapse, then they really fouled the water. In my humble opinion, salinity or PH rapid changes could have set the whole thing off.

i always used the API kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. i don't test for anything else besides the usual calcium, alk, and mag. actually, mag about every 6 months once my system is stable.
so, you are getting a reading of 500 calcium and a kh of 11? that doesn't sound possible.with a true calcium level of 500, your kh should be somewhere around 5. at least that's what i have been seeing. i wonder if the test kit is bad. any expiration date on it?

i always used the API kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. i don't test for anything else besides the usual calcium, alk, and mag. actually, mag about every 6 months once my system is stable.
so, you are getting a reading of 500 calcium and a kh of 11? that doesn't sound possible.with a true calcium level of 500, your kh should be somewhere around 5. at least that's what i have been seeing. i wonder if the test kit is bad. any expiration date on it?

i dont think it has an expiration dte... but Ill check as soon as I get home. I use the API test kit for the same parameters you use... and Salifert for CA and MAG.... thanks again. and will keep you posted.

Hey Mr. X. I don't want to hijack this thread but I will be posting some questions about mag. I would love to hear you thoughts.

Hahah.. U are funny.. I can share mr. X :().. He's got a wealth of knowledge

Btw.. The tank seems to b doing better.. No more coral loss.. The ones left seem to b recovering. Nitrate is going down.. It's now about 15 ppm. From 40 ppm

After several water changes nitrates are down to near zero. Fortunately , I still have corals left

After several water changes nitrates are down to near zero. Fortunately , I still have corals left

Glad to hear it. For a few weeks, the 4 frags I had didn't look great but were doing ok. Just in the last couple days they have improved dramatically. Not sure why but I will take it. :)

This is what i have left... ;(.

Plus bubble, long tentacle and condy Anenomes...

Attachments

• image-2825825850.jpg
    image-2825825850.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3658166986.jpg
    image-3658166986.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image-445085310.jpg
    image-445085310.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 93
I lost....

Decent size Xenia, small blue xenia, big yellow tonga , medium green torch, huge colt coral

Plus (1)diamond goby n (1)orange n (1)blue linkage stars

N the list gets longer...

green galaxy coral, red mushroom 6", two ricordia mushrooms green n yellowish that had about 15 big mushrooms each

Hope this does t happen ahain

i was looking for a pattern (perhaps if you said you lost more sps, or lps...), but you lost the softies as well.

i hope it doesn't happen again also!

Back
Top Bottom