Corals vs refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winter-huntsman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I don't know if I should add more salt water to my tank or freshwater. My refractometer says my salt is low but when I added salt all my corals shrunk up. When I added fresh back in they started to come back. So I don't know if I should judge on my meter or my corals reaction. My meter says I'm at a salinity of 23.

Recalibrate it. You're adding sw right not just straight salt to the tank?

Yes, salt water. And I don't know how to recalibrate it. All I can do is hope that the tank is not to salty until I can work on it tommorow afternoon. I'll probably bring it to my lfs and see if they can calibrate it for me.

this may sound like a odd question but it has been done,
have you done any water changes lately. I have even done this myself I forgot to mix in the salt to the ro/di to put back into tank ,

another thought do you have a hydrometer to compare readings of both .
you say you get a reading 1.023 that still is in the safe zone ,

just remember raise the salinity slowly when you do get to that point so you don't shock the fish or coral

Ok. And my saltwater is already premixed at my lfs. I'll try the hydrometer as well. I think my issue was I used a lot of tap water to clean off my refractometer and even though I dried it my results kept showing my water was to fresh. When I get home I'm going to rinse it off with ro/di water and use my hydrometer. Hopefully it's not to salty to do any real damage, but I would have seen a reaction from the corals if it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally, I've seen my coral at their best at about .25, I've held it before at the .23 range but they just didn't extend that much

Ok so I just checked everything. My hydrometer said I was at 1.023, my refractometer said 1.021. So I went a head and took water out and added salt in. I'm waiting a bit to let it all mix to see how everything is doing

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom