corraline algae growing under my sandbed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
is this corraline algae?, ive noticed its been growing ever since i started dosing calcium a few weeks ago after i tested my calcium and it was below 300. i got it upto 380 and ive noticed this growing, tank is going on 5 months old no other algae i can see, though the purple corraline is spreading to my other lr and its also growing green in some spots its not cyano because when it grows on the rocks it doesnt rub off pretty hard

10005214xc.jpg

10005236jn.jpg

My tank has the same thing and it comes and goes. I have never been able to pinpoint it but I don't think it's corraline! I've never tried to scratch at it or anything being that it's so deep into the sand I don't want to disturb the sandbed.
Sorry thats a pretty lame answer, maybe someone else can chime in!

yea im afraid to dig around in there and try to stratch it also hehe

Looks like coraline to me. The green I'm not so sure about but I'm pretty sure about the purple.

The color looks right, but the pattern that it's growing in looks a lot different than the way it grows on my glass. My coraline mostly grows in round circles when it grows on the glass. Same thing even when it grows on my glass heater. Hopefully that's what it is though. If it feels rough to your finger and is hard to scratch off I couldn't imagine it being anything else :)

Hey HackTeck, I have had the same thing and always kinda wondered definatively whether it was coraline or not as well. I've always guessed that it was, but also thought it might have been cyano, but guess thats alot less likely given the green and the shades of pink...

i found a small corner of my tank where i wouldnt do to much damage and i tryed to scrape some , it didnt rub off so im sure its corraline thanks for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom