Corraline algae in a FW tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudfrog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a 120 gallon (4x2x2) that I am converting to FW. I'm about finished with my wet / dry so I needed to go ahead and get this question out of the way. Will Corraline algae cause any problems in FW? There are a few places in my overflow which I cannot reach to clean it out (ie between the inner and outer walls of the over flow). I would assume it would be alright, but I want to make sure it will not alter the PH and so forth.

Soak it in a vinegar solution (straight, or a 1 part vinegar to 2 part water) and it'll come out!

I filled it full of water and added 2 gallons of vinegar and it still didn't come out.. it's on the plastic part of the overflow and I had to litterally remove a thin layer of plastic off of the overflow to remove it. It will be impossible to do that with the inner layer of the overflow.

You can find it at most hardware stores, i.e. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Make sure you work with the chemical outside and wear protective gloves, mask, and glasses and fill the tank with water before adding the muriatic acid.

The answer to the original question is that it would be fine to leave it there. It would eventually come loose and get filtered. It sounds like you're talking about a nominal amount with respect to the overall capacity. In larger amounts and a smaller tank it might be worthwhile to worry. But for that small of an amount in a 120.. nada problem

The answer to the original question is that it would be fine to leave it there. It would eventually come loose and get filtered. It sounds like you're talking about a nominal amount with respect to the overall capacity. In larger amounts and a smaller tank it might be worthwhile to worry. But for that small of an amount in a 120.. nada problem

Ok, thanks. Yea it's really not a whole lot, only whats in between the inner and outer wall of the overflow.

I agree with Ahab, but if you must have it off you can just drizzle some muriatic acid over the area and wash it off once it fizzles out, kind of like spot removing instead of the entire tank.

Back
Top Bottom