Corraline on everything EXCEPT rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndySmithers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a lovely crop of purple corraline on my glass, PH's, pipes, snails, hell - even the drain pipe in the sump from the tank (fuge lit inverse photo-period from main tank). But most of the LR is still ... just bare LR. I can see a few spots of the stuff in a couple of the places but you have to look hard for it. When I scrape off the glass there's mountains of the stuff in the water column for a few hours and yet still no 'taking' on the rock.
Any ideas?
BTW - 90 gallon, running around 11 months, params: SG=1.035, Temp:81F, Amm=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=<2, Calc=400, PO4=0.

1.035 SG? I hope thats a typo :) Maybe try scraping it directly on to your rocks and letting it spawn there. Could be the algae on your rock is inhibiting your growth.

I have some base rock that has algae. So you are saying when it gets the green stuff it can't get the purple stuff???? How can you get rid of the green algae? I have alot of coraline growing on my live rock.

biotoxin said:
1.035 SG? I hope thats a typo :) Maybe try scraping it directly on to your rocks and letting it spawn there. Could be the algae on your rock is inhibiting your growth.
Yes, sorry, the '2' is too near the '3' :? - should be 1.025...

And, when I scrape the stuff off the glass (weekly), tons of the purple stuff ends up on the rock, only to slowly disappear by the next day...

AndySmithers said:
When I scrape off the glass there's mountains of the stuff in the water column for a few hours and yet still no 'taking' on the rock.
Any ideas?
Turn off the skimmer for a few hours every time you do this. It will allow a greater amount of coralline spores to deposit out of the water column onto the rocks. Skimmers are increadibley efficient at removing these kinds of things from the water.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom