couple of sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a couple of sump question. i am thinking about putting a 10-15 gallon sump under my 29. would this volume be a decent amount for a 29g?

does the water level in a sump raise and lower with the display tank level. i would like to install a float switch in the sump and auto top off into the sump instead of the tank?

can i put my aqua c remora skimmer in the sump if i just extend the powerhead down to the bottom

last question, can you use a sump like a refugium as well. i thought of maybe adding a chamber for some live sand, rubble and macro algae. i dont really use my HOB refugium for pods, so a return through a pump wouldnt be an issue as far as chewing up the pods before they get to the tank

thanks for you time
steve r

Steve,

10 - 15 gallons is a good size for a 29 gallon main tank. A good thing to know is if power goes out make sure your sump can handle all the water that will flow back from the overflows and pump return. Or you can install a check valve or drill holes in the return line just below the water line.

I'm not too familiar with the Rumora, but I think it will work in the sump.

Yes, lots of people use their sumps as refugiums.

As for water levels, when the main tank water level changes due to evaporation so does the level in the sump and vise versa. Many people have top off systems attached to their sumps with float switch of some sort.

steve r said:
i have a couple of sump question. i am thinking about putting a 10-15 gallon sump under my 29. would this volume be a decent amount for a 29g?

That would be fine. Bigger is always better.

steve r said:
does the water level in a sump raise and lower with the display tank level. i would like to install a float switch in the sump and auto top off into the sump instead of the tank?

No, the beauty of a sump is that the display tank's level does not change, only the sumps. You would install your auto topoffs in the sump.

steve r said:
can i put my aqua c remora skimmer in the sump if i just extend the powerhead down to the bottom

Yes, and your heaters too. One of the main functions is to hide all of the equipment.

steve r said:
last question, can you use a sump like a refugium as well. i thought of maybe adding a chamber for some live sand, rubble and macro algae. i dont really use my HOB refugium for pods, so a return through a pump wouldnt be an issue as far as chewing up the pods before they get to the tank

The problem is that the flow in a sump is normally a LOT more than you would want through a fuge.

Back
Top Bottom