Couple Quick Aquascaping Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you lay bottom layer of rock?

• On PVC supports

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On eggcrate

• Sunken into sand

• Directly on glass

• Total voters

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read alot of different opinions about aquascaping in my research. What method does everyone use to lay the bottom layer of rock and why?

My setup is 120Gal, 160lbs of LR, 3-4 in DSB, I will be getting a pistol shrimp and possibly some other diggers.

I put mine nuzzled down into the sand, but I only have a 55 and my aquascaping doesn't go that high. If I had a larger tank and had a lot more rock, I would might go with PVC supports, but probably not (would depend on what I was trying to accomplish). I personally wouldn't put my rock right on the glass as it would make moving/adjusting the rock later a bit more of a hassle.

JMO

I pushed mine down into the sand until I hit bottom. But, my tank is small and I am not making huge piles of rocks.

If I was to build large structures where rock was piled up, I would have put the rock down before the sand to insure lots of support.

If I were you I would be sure my structure was completely safe and secure. Avod the "awkwardly balanced rock" look. It is unatural looking and I had a friend loose a couple of fish and severely scratch his glass because his kid bumped into his tank hard enough to cause his rock structure to collapse.

The benifit of a PVC support structure is the use of less rock to get the same visual apperance. On large systems this can be quite a money savings.

I personally burry some flater rocks down into the sand bed. I dont go all the way to the bottom of teh sand but I do dig it down a few inches to help aganst digging critters.

Back
Top Bottom