cowfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rokcrawla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fiance has fallen in love with cowfish, we currently have a 55 gallon aquarium with a huma trigger and a damsel and I just started what will be a 10 gallon reef tank when it is done cycling. Would a cowfish be suitable for either of these or do we need to hold off on that one until we get a bigger tank? How big do they get? Ive heard they can be poisonous can someone elaborate on this? Theyre really cool looking but thats about all I know about them, please educate me.

thanks,
Josh

There are several cowfish species, but I would not add any to your 55g tank. The humu trigger, as it gets larger...max out the bio-load for your tank. Otherwise, if the 55g was empty, a Thornback could probably do o.k. in a 55g...but I believe a bit larger than minimum is always preferred. A 125g or so would be a very nice setup for most cowfish species.

Cowfish can exude a toxin (ostracitoxin) if stressed. It is a defense mechanism in the wild, but obviously deadly in a contained area like our tanks (even to the cowfish). However, in the proper environment this should not be an issue, and I know of a few people that have kept them without a single incident.

HTH

Those are the coolest looking fish. I hadn't seen one until the last time I was at the LFS, and it was about 5 inches long. I went back yesterday and they had one that was a little over an inch long. They're so cute. :) They look like some type of tropical fruit to me, though.

-j

I caught a 14in warbled cowfish here in Florida, so they definitely have the potential to grow large.

I originally saw these on LiveAquaria. I saw them live for the first time in an LFS a few weeks ago. Nifty little critters.

They are adorable, except for that poison part. :) My husband really, really wanted one and I had to say no. Sad husband. If it's any consolation to wanna be cowfish keepers, I did do some reasearch on them and apparently they get less cute (in color and "horns") as they grow. So a 1-inch cowfish may be the cutest ever, but a 10-inch maybe not so much.

cowfish are poisonous,so don't put them in a tank with curious tankmates that will bite the cowfish.The poison from the wound will cause a tank wipe-out.Otherwise they are cute and interesting pets.

I have caught a few before off a pier, before I started my aquarium. I dont know what I would do now, if I caught when of these guys. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom