CPR vs. Marineland SOS Tidepool overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveNandi

Aquarium Advice Regular
To replace our noisy overflow the LFS has suggested we use a CPR overflow, but we've read bad things about them losing siphon after a power outage due to a PH failing to come back on, resulting in a flood. So, we countered with a suggestion of a Tidepool Silent Overflow System. They say the SOS in their experience is more prone to clogging and that the problems with the CPR have been fixed in a redesign within the last year. They wanted to know if the problems we heard about were with the old or the new design.

Any guidance, experiences, etc. would be appreciated.

I’ve got a tidepool SOS on my 75/20 system. It never looses siphon, but did get clogged up once. But that’s only once in an 8 month period. Plus it was a gradual clogging, which I quickly noticed. So I can recommend them without reservation. As for CPR, I have one of their hang on refugiums on another system and it’s never given me any trouble. Obviously not the same as an overflow, but as a brand I’ve had great success with CPR as well. It does employ a siphon system as with the over flow. Good luck with your choice.

Between these two, I'd go with the CPR. I've used a Tidepool and had a lot of trouble with it. At high flow levels, mine got a lot of air build up in the U tube. My personal choice would be a traditional overflow using a round U tube. If I did use a CPR, I'd run a Maxi Jet 1200 for the powerhead. It won't let you down and it has enough suction with the supplied "venturi" fitting to reprime the overflow tube in case the siphon is lost. I would not, under any circumstance, trust a Rio PH on an overflow.

Thanks for the feedback. I wish there were a Consumer Reports for aquarium stuff so that I could get a really big sample. If anyone knows of another hang on overflow that is quiet and not a DIY project I'd love to know about it.

Several of the members here have reported good things about the Lifereef overflows. You might try looking at their site at www.lifereef.com . I can get the standard U tube overflows, but I couldn't guarantee how quiet they would be as I have never ordered one for myself...I have built all mine up to this point.

i would get the CPR overflow with the aqualifter pump to maintain syphon.. I have the CS90 and it works pretty good.. I have been tempted to order the aqualifter but have not as of yet.. It is supposed to maintain suction very well in case of a power outage.. Marinedepot is the only place that I know so far that carries them...

HTH<
James

I use the Micro Siphon Box from Aquarium Life Support Systems. http://www.aqualifesupport.com/getDetail.php?ID=31404
After I fixed the initial problem of the siphon not restarting after a power failure test (tube in rear box too low - added a 3/4" PVC slip to the tube to raise the height 1") I have not had any problems or complaints. It has two 'U' tubes to move the water from the front box to the rear box. I find that when the sponge filter (covering the rear outflow tube) is really clean I hear a slight sucking noise but after a couple of days it gets very quiet. ALSS also makes a larger overflow box that my LFS uses. It also is very quiet and reliable. ALSS sells to retailers only so you would have to find a local LFS in your area. Hope this helps!

David

Back
Top Bottom