Crab exoskeleton question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcuellart

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys, I have a quick question about a crab's exoskeleton. Yesterday I found out that one of my emerald crabs had molten, now the deal here is that I cannot get out the exoskeleton (molt) It is far behind all my rockwork and it is vitually impossible to get it out.

Now how bad is this? I would not think it might be a problem but wanted to ask anyways. I never had this problem before this is my first time I cannot get the molten exoskeleton out.

Thanks for any advice and help.
Best regards

My crabs & shrimp also molt. The first time my emerald crab molted, I thought it was him laying on the bottom dead! Another time, I thought something had eaten one of my shrimp and left his hulled-out shell!
They don't hurt anything. I guess they do eventually degrade.

I have a cleaner shrimp that molts regularly. I leave the molt in the tank. Usually the fish pick at it for a while. I have a bi-color dottyback that loves it, but they are known to eat ornamental shrimp, and from time to time he will pick at the shrimp if he gets a chance. You should be fine jus leaving it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom