Crab food...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Atari: Exactly which pellets do you use to feed your hermits, and can I get it anywhere online in the UK?

:p

I'm out of them at the moment so not sure of the actual type, but I think I wrote the exact name from the packet when I replied to a previous post of yours.

I do remember they are by Tetra and for bottom feeders.

Yeah the Tetra ones are hard too.. but they dissolve after about 10 minutes in water. I've never tried Hikari so can't really comment. Here's a list of all the food I use..

Ocean Nutrition Formula One Flakes
Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes
Tetra Variety Wafers
Fortified Brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Nori Seaweed

Some of them my LFS sells, but some I have to order online - usually from Aquatics Online.

I've just got some of the tropical Tetra Variety Wafers Atari.

Gonna pop a couple in!

Cool.. probably best to just use one though and break it into 2 or 3 so they don't all fight over the same piece.

Because each one is a lot of food.. You could probably feed 50 hermits with 4 wafers... how many do you have? It's pure pollution if you add more than a couple a week.

I have like 6 hermits...shall I get a couple of the wafers out if I can?

Yeah good idea... with 6 hermits you're fine just breaking one wafer into a couple pieces for them... a couple times a week is more than enough, otherwise they won't bother cleaning your tank anymore.

lol ok...

Is it vital to get 2 of the wafers out? What will they do to my tank if they stay in?

Nitrates and phosphates will go through the roof.

The hermits are messy eaters.. a lot of the wafers is going to end up just floating away and dissolving into the water, so the more you put in the more pollution you'll get... if possible you only want one in there.

Well I've got 2 out and they've nearly eaten all of the other 2 :p

I'll test my nitrates/phosphates in a couple of days.

Waterchange on Tues anyway so shouldn't be a problem.

Yep, you should be fine... just don't add anymore for the next few days.

No worries! Cheers :p

I'll add one at a time twice a week, think that's fair?

Out of interest, do you think you'll be starting your QT anytime soon? ;)

You know... it's never occured to me to try to feed the hermits. They seem to do just fine scavenging leftovers.

MarkW19 said:
I have no leftovers!
Actually you usually will if you have fish that are being fed regularly. Even if you don't see the food fall to the substrate some will make it. If the fish do consume everything they will in turn feed the crabs once they're done with it. :wink:
Detritus is a food source to many critters in the tank including the crustaceans.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom