crab traps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
does anyone have any good trap ideas besides the pop bottle one? my crabs are too smart for that. i've tried it a dozen times and all i catch are my snails and some bugs. oh and my shrimp once too. but no crabs. even though i have about 6 crabs in my little 10 gallon nano. these crabs have already killed two of my hermits and i think they are terririzing my shrimp, so i really need to get rid of them asap! TIA!

I tried the coke bottle and caught both of my skunk shrimp, no crabs. I sucked one up with a syphon hose. Two of them I ripped the rock they were on out of my tank and put it in a bowl of water. I took a skewer for kebabs and used it to knock them off of the rock into the bowl of water. I have about 3 more I think that need to come out (red ones) and two or three white ones (?!) that look just like the red/emeralds. I haven't figure out if those are staying or going yet, but if I can get them off the rock they're going into the QT also! I tried luring one off the rock with a piece of nori stuck to that skewer but he was well gripped on the rock and didn't want to leave it. Maybe putting the nori end of the skewer into a small glass would work. I may try that tonight. I'll let you know how I make out. I haven't figured out what to do with these buggers for the long term yet. Maybe that refugium I'm planning!

I almost lured one into a net from the rock but he didn't quite make it in. Maybe a glass would have worked better, but the one i have was too small and I would have had to hold it. I don't think he would have come close enough to my hand. I'm going to wait for them to hit the high rocks and yank out the rock, I think.

Crabs are faster than they look. I don't need my trap right now. It works very well and I would be willing to loan it to you.
Let me know if interested.

Is it too small to fit a skunk into? Mine were really desparate to get into that coke bottle. They just about jumped in as it hit the water.

Phyl said:
Is it too small to fit a skunk into? Mine were really desparate to get into that coke bottle. They just about jumped in as it hit the water.
No unfortunately, they can fit. :roll:
sometimes those little guys are too curious for their own good. :lol:

Attachments

• goofball.jpg
    goofball.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 181
out of curiosity, whats the coke bottle trick?
You would take a plastic soda bottle and cut of the top at the location where the top meets the sides. Then take the top removethe cap and invert it back into the bottle to make a tight seal(does not have to be waterproof only secure). The place a wieght and some food inside the bottle. The animals will swim/crawl in and then cant find the way back out. HTH

Back
Top Bottom