crabs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I went to Petco and I saw a big ball of hair algae in one of their tanks Then it started to move around. Turns out it was a decorater crab completely covered in fuzzy hair algae you could barely tell what it was. I found it rather interesting,,

Also about a week ago I had a tank disaster(entire bottle flake food in tank), I found my sally lightfoot crab on top of one of my rocks so I threw him away very dissapointing I liked that one. Come to realize today it was just his ectoskeleton that he left on top of the rock because I saw him cleaning my newly cycled rocks today. Crazy but he looks happier than ever.
I did lose 1 clownfish though during the disaster, I am thinking he shot out of the tank and landed on the dental tray into the toilet threw the sewer and into the ocean with his dad marlin in the east austratlian current. Thanks to the pelicans message. lol

Decorator crabs are so cool. I remember the first time I saw one in the local store here, covered with barnacles and corals, and a few shells. It was truly camouflaged!

I took some macro to my LFS and she put it in a tank with a decorator. The next time I went back, he had chopped it up and stuck it to his body!

I dropped 1 piece of thawed frozen krill into my tank to see what would happen and the sally light foot crab probably jumped 10" to grab it...kinda scary hes an ugly little guy. this makes me second guess adding a cleaner shrimp or any kind of reef shrimp to the tank because I wonder if they would get attacked by the sally light foot crab???/

I've heard good and bad about sally light foot crabs. Mostly saying that while they are young they are docile and nice and as they get older...they get meaner. I have no personal experience with one however, sorry.

I use to have a decorator crab. They are awesome. If you get one get some larger button polyps and it will attach them to itself. So cool.

Back
Top Bottom