Crazy clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leedowlrods

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it common practice for a juvenile clown fish to have OCD?
This little dude is obsessed with burrowing under my rock, he's doing a nice tidy job but what for?
He does it in the same place almost all day, his mate, who is bigger, doesn't seem to take part in the fun game.
Is he nest building?
Should I be expecting tiny fins in my new setup ?

If your clowns are paired then the larger one wil be the female thus the smaller one being the male. The male is normally more frantic and will try to make a home for its family. They rarely breed however they like to make a base camp. Anemone's are great for this but introducing an anemone has a whole load of different questions.

Dont expect any egss and if you do you're very lucky. My male clown is always burrowing!

Yes they are paired, as in, one is bigger than the other. The 'female' does a little bullying and 'he' takes it on the chin and accepts it.
I seem them doing the mating dance to each other. They both swam side by side and and did a fast wriggle, this happened two times.
They are very young tho

Sounds normal to me. Clowns are great to watch. I have just set up a tiny 10G nano tank and i might put a couple of clowns in there. Black and white clowns probably as i have 2 Percula's in my other tank.

What size tank are you running?

Can you upload any piccy's?

Here's my tiny 12g
With a few little frags

image-2232555940.jpg

Attachments

• image-89505448.jpg
    image-89505448.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2036255984.jpg
    image-2036255984.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3416623104.jpg
    image-3416623104.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1456026800.jpg
    image-1456026800.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 78
I have only one clown in my 125gal that I got as a trade.. We also got a flower pot that the clown has fallen in love with. He also does that burrowing.. But he's the only one in the tank. He's been hosting the flower pot till the past week when he's removing the sand around the flower pot. I don't get it... Here are some pictures of it..

Attachments

• image-2226289702.jpg
    image-2226289702.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1229942826.jpg
    image-1229942826.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 69
begginersluck said:
Very nice little tank!

Is that a powder blue tang I can see in there? If so how long you had him?

Thats not the op's tang.... The poster with the tang has a 125 gallon tank. Lol. Shes fine.

begginersluck said:
Yes. I just bought a powder brown and he's rather slim. He is however starting to eat in small amounts!

I've had her for three weeks. It took her a couple hours but she started nipping at the algae on the glass & sand bed. It took two days for her to start eating the sea weed on the veggie clip.

begginersluck said:
Yes. I just bought a powder brown and he's rather slim. He is however starting to eat in small amounts!

Also.. Mine was very skinny but now she is getting rather chunky..

Attachments

• image-1447016057.jpg
    image-1447016057.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2503422402.jpg
    image-2503422402.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3033423193.jpg
    image-3033423193.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2041508291.jpg
    image-2041508291.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 49
mrs.octavia.rollins said:
I've had her for three weeks. It took her a couple hours but she started nipping at the algae on the glass & sand bed. It took two days for her to start eating the sea weed on the veggie clip.

I was going to go for a powder blue but I read they can be aggressive towards its own kind. I keep other tangs so I didn't want to risk it.

Sorry I just woke up so I got a little confused lol

begginersluck said:
I was going to go for a powder blue but I read they can be aggressive towards its own kind. I keep other tangs so I didn't want to risk it.

Yes i looked at your profile and you have manyy tangs in a tank way to small. You should definitly think about their requirements some more

begginersluck said:

It's okay. I put a Sailfin & Powder Blue in at the same time & they are best friends! They follow each other every where! Everyone & everywhere I read said don't do it but I figured to at least try.. What works for others may not work for me type of thing. :) I'm planning on getting a couple more from different genius.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yes i looked at your profile and you have manyy tangs in a tank way to small. You should definitly think about their requirements some more

I'm looking at a custom aquarium to be built in the next few weeks! I predominantly want tangs so I am in talks with a company over here about sizes and the best options. They have some amazing new technology they can put in to tanks nowadays!

Back
Top Bottom