crazy purple algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DamselnDistress

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have this algae all over my substrate and some on the decorations. I don't think it's coraline. I don't have live rock I'm planning on ordering some this week. So what could it be? It's like a purple color.

probably cyano bacteria, you dont want it in your tank.
there is chemicals that will kill it , but your better of finding out what is causeing the problem, i found out today that my fighting conch eats that stuff so you may want too look into them.

DamselnDistress, are you using RO/DI water? How long has your system been set-up and cycled? What types of inhabitants are currently in your tank?

It sounds to me like cyano. Can you post a picture? If it is cyano, it can be controlled without the use of chemical additives. It is usual;ly caused by using tap water to fill and do top-offs,(use RO\DI if posible) or overfeeding.

Howard

i did a water change and i'm gonna buy an ro/di unit. i think i've been leavin the lights on too long cuz i forget about them sometimes so i'm just gonna get a timer. If it starts comin back after i cleaned the gravel i'll post a pic.

Sure looks like cyano. I got it too when my skimmer broke. I still have not gotten rid of it. :x

oooops! I forgot to mention that you can siphon it out with a turkey baster. I have to do it every day. So far it has not gotten worse, and it is slowly improving.

Another idea you may try is to increase the flow towards the substrate. Maybe angle a powerhead in the areas that it's growing. Sometimes this helps keep cyano at bay.

I know it appears to be growing only in the light, but cutting down on the light is not likely to have any affect on it. The leading cause is Phosphates. I suffered with it for a long time. I cut down on feedings, gave less light, filtered like a madman and did water changes constatnly. The damn stuff would be back every morning. It didn't go away until I switched to RO water. I didn't buy a unit for my home. I found that the water filling station at my local grocier was RO. It only costs me .29 cents per gallon. I slowly added it to my tank over the period of many water changes and now I am happy to say that I am CYANO FREE!!!

Howard

Back
Top Bottom