Crocea clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay it looks like my little buddy (clam) is growing. His shell has gotten fat. and the width of the shell is about 1/2 inch bigger. Is the shell the only way you can tell if he is growing or will the flesh part grow as well?
And is it normal for them to look fatter?
TIA

The fleshier parts (mantle) will grow with the rest of the clam's growth. It is normal for them to look "fatter".

A good way to measure growth is by looking at the scutes on the side of the shell. Most of the time the scutes are worn down from burrowing in rock on the natural reef, but once in your tank they will become visible as the clam grows vertically. I would not say they are fast growers realative to other Tridacnas such as Squamosa or Derasa, they are moderate at best. FWIW mine has put on about 2" in in 19 months.

the best way I can explain him getting fat is... when I first got him he looked like this \/. Now he looks more like this ( ). I also noticed tonight around the top edges of his shell is a rim that is very bright white. So if he is growing that is a real good sign right?

when I first got him he looked like this \/. Now he looks more like this (
Mine acted similarly. I think it may be due to the change in water flow and burrowing habits that cause that in tanks-just a hypothesis.
I also noticed tonight around the top edges of his shell is a rim that is very bright white
That is normal, not necessarily a sign of new growth-although it may be. A pic of the clam would help best at this point. Appearance(ie. mantle extension etc.), and response quickness to photo-stimuli (shadows), etc. will help determine the clams over all health.

Sorry I havent been able to get a good picture of him because I moved him up towards the top again and he hasnt jumped off yet. When I try to get a tank down picture all you see is a blurr. but of coarse I have another question... when you dose with iodine or strontium what is the best product and the best tests to get.

Back
Top Bottom