Crocea Clam question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, it does look like it could use some more light, I would also move it directly under the bulb, a few inches per day until it is in the sweet spot, but it is showing a classic look for preadtory snails. They are difficult to see, they will hide in the sand at the base of the clam and come out at night and feed on the clams mantle. shortly ater the lights go outm look at the clam with a flashlight, they do look like small grains of rice.

and if it is snails how do i get rid of them? And should i put him in a bucket with phyto? Also he is attached to a rock. How am i gonna get him off of it?

and if it is snails how do i get rid of them?

At night, when the snails are most active...remove the clam from the tank, manually remove the snails with tweezers, and put the clam back. Do this nightly until you don't see anymore, then do it weekly and eventually bi-weekly. Without having inspected and removed any of the snails before you put it in the tank, there is no way you'll ever be sure you got them all, so regular inspection is essential. You should also get a sixline wrasse, a clams best friend (they eat the nasty clam munching snails).

brndfrb said:
how do i remove the clam from the rock it is on?

I've read you must cut the foot on the bottom, tearing it can often times kill the clam.

not exactly a small rock. WEll tank lights have been off for about an hour. It's official. SNAILS. Man oh man. This sucks. How the hell did they get in my tank? So a six line wrasse will eat them? Damnit this sucks. Well thanks for the help. Anyu more advice would be great.

I'm with removing the entire rock and clam. Removing the clam is dangerous and difficult. If removing the entire rock is not an option, but the byssal thread with a razorblade as close to the rock (and far away from the clam) as possible.

They probably came in with the clam, there were one or two snails on the clam and have reproduced in the tank, which they do well in aquariums.

so you say a six line wrasse will eat these snails? Because the more i looke around the whole tank the more of them i see. It would take me forever to get them all. Plus they are so small it takes a while to find them.

Back
Top Bottom