CUC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dimdim

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey there wondering what would be a good clean up crew? I was wanting a blue legged hermit, some peppermint shrimp, any other ideas for my ten gallon?

Hey there wondering what would be a good clean up crew? I was wanting a blue legged hermit, some peppermint shrimp, any other ideas for my ten gallon?

Blue legged hermits an peppermint shrimp will work. Maybe a cleaner shrimp also. Some snails also.

Thanks! Plan on getting some today:) was curious about the snail with a long antenna on its head?

Could be narcissus snail, they're good and keep your sandbed clean too

Ive already got a scooter blenny whos cleaning up some copepods, im suprised as to how fast these pods have arrived, tanks been up for 3 days and theyres enough in there to keep him fed for a week or two!

I'd be very careful scooter will demolish a pod population a lot quicker than you think! Especially in a 10 gallon as I'm assuming there's no dump or them to breed in. I don't mean to be pessimistic but be prepared to trim he scooter onto other food or buy lots and lots of pods!

Thanks! Yeah lol hes loving it i. There i decided to do a fish cycle as i have pods to feed him to create some ammonia, all in all he is soooo happy! Ill post some picks:) headin to lfs today to pick up CUC and reef master test kit, as well as a timer for my hood

Are you cycling the tank with the scooter at the moment?

The tank had its ammonia spike in the first hour. Was at 10 ppm and down to 0 yesterday with less the .05 nitrate yesterday so i bought the scooter he was only 12$

Well I hope it all works out well with the scooter but should really give it a few weeks to cycle before adding fish in future just in case! The spikes shouldn't have happened yet so you may get some in days or weeks if so you will need to do water changes. I would leave the cuc for the time being though and add it in a few weeks save it dieting and you having to replace it

Ive heard that biologicaly and sceintificly that there can be cases when a cycle is non existent/instant, in the ratio of good bacteria on the rocks, and everything else that is live, from an existing tank, to the amount of ammonia introduced whatever the source may be? In turn not having to build up the amount of bacteria needed to handle ammonia to convert to nitrates, nitrites, ect. My girlfriend is in biotechnical forensics and knows to much... She tried to explain it to me .. And thats what i got out of the nitrogen cycle when in an aquarium :s any input towards this theory?

I agree it's possible for that but I'd still be weary and personally I wouldnt risk it. Defo not saying your wrong though but I old still maybe give it a week or o before e inverts just to be on the safe side

Inverts are very sensitive i heard, i decided to add a peppermint shrimp to clean up the apatasia, did a small pwc this morning, im glad u agree with me though, at least i dont sound farfetched, im preetty weary still about adding anything else, and feeding cautiously, so far so good, everything seems to be really happy, ive been testing daily and no change since day 1

That's good news tbh you not want to add too much too soon anyway because the tank needs to be able to cope with the bio load increasing so spread it over a few weeks

Like i said the ratio of bb is what im counting on, this is sort of my experiment to see if an instant cycle is possible.. Nothing else is going to be added for two weeks, pending all stays well, after adding scooter and the peppermint, the ammonia levels still havent gone above 0 so ill keep you posted on the progress i have minimal nitrites and nitrates so my guess is im cycled. Thank u for all the concern and advice tho, im keeping it all in mind throughout this startup, wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom