Culturing pods questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hopefully some of you out there have done this and can help me out a bit.

I run a small HOB on my fuge that has a decent pod pop. When I clean the media I usually go through and toss out the adult pods I find in it back into the fuge.

Today as I was doing this I got the idea to attempt to culture them in a separate tank, a spare ten gallon. Unfortunately I did not get this idea until most of the pods were back in the fuge but I did manage to get three or four adult pods over to the ten gallon. I am sure I can add more by morening. I used some old change water to get the tank around half full. It was maintenance day. :D

Now I have some questions.

Do I need to heat the tank?

What else to put in tank? Right now all it has is a spare filter sponge for the pods to gather in. I can put some base rock, sand?? I can cut a piece of macro from the fuge to put in there if necessary or is just the sponge or perhaps a large sponge filter good enough.

Aeration. I have read when culturing pods in jars aeration is recommended at only a bubble every second or too. I would think this could be increased quite a bit in the larger area of a ten gallon tank.

Do they need to be fed and if so whats best.

Eventually and if the population starts to boom I am wanting to use this as a supplemental food source for a Mandarin only tank.

Back
Top Bottom