curing beach sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im not sure where you are but i know in cali and i thought most beaches .....there are traces(if thats how you spell it lol) of oil/tar that seep into the sand ..... do you have any oil derricks off the beach near you ???? if so prob not a good idea ....i would think

I think it was mr.x in another post a day or so ago that stated that the beaches are the oceans protein skimmers , the waves churn up the water causing the water's waste to produce foam which in turn is washes onto the sand....hmmmmm,..... Makes it seem like a real gamble to me.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct, the white tips of the waves are the exact same thing you see in the collection cup of your skimmer. The waves carry waste out of the ocean and onto the beach. When sand is collected for aquarium use, it is often well off shore to avoid the impurities. IMO don't use it.

I am a diver and use to collect rock off shore (when it was legal). You don't want to use shore rock unless you sterilize and wash it really well. We collected live rock at depth usually quite away from shore.

Back
Top Bottom