Curing BRS dry live rock (Pukani)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff5225

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been curing 60 lbs. of BRS rock in a container since June 1st, circulating water, 77-78 degrees, 1.024, This morning I tested my water (RODI) Nitrate 100ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia .25ppm, PH (high range) 8.0. It seems that this is taking too long. Should I keep waiting and testing until I have 0 ammonia ? I still have to cycle my new display tank, I was considering filling my tank, aquascape it and add the gravel. And start the nitrogen cycle today.

I have been curing 60 lbs. of BRS rock in a container since June 1st, circulating water, 77-78 degrees, 1.024, This morning I tested my water (RODI) Nitrate 100ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia .25ppm, PH (high range) 8.0. It seems that this is taking too long. Should I keep waiting and testing until I have 0 ammonia ? I still have to cycle my new display tank, I was considering filling my tank, aquascape it and add the gravel. And start the nitrogen cycle today.

Since nitrite is 0 that tells me your rock is already cured. Ammonia and nitrate stay in the water and you are throwing them away. After aqua scaping start stocking but very slowly. Maybe 2 small fish and add weekly. Substrate will be cured gradually.

Since you're dealing with Pukani, check phosphates. Most likely there are high levels of phosphates leaching from your rock.

He's been cycling these rocks for almost 2 months, so hopefully the phosphates will have leeched out by now. Still, keep an eye on them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You using an api kit for ammonia? Sometimes they give false positives, I'd verify your test results at your lfs.

2 months was not enough for my own pukani, even with 1-2 complete water changes per month. Pukani rocks are not like other dry rocks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom