Curing LR Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to cure some LR to add to my fuge. Will a 5Gal bucket w/ a powerhead and a heater work? Should I punch some holes in the lid for air exchange? Thanks for any help.

Although you may be able to use a 5g bucket, I'd go for a larger container if possible. The rock doesn't need to be tightly stacked. A rubbermaid tub would be a better choice IMO. You want water to be able to flow all around the rock and I'd leave the lid off. If the rock came from a pet store, and wasn't out of the water long, you may not need to cure it. If it's an online order or has been out of the water for a while, then it's probably a good idea.

The rock I have now was sold as rubble. I got it realy cheap, it looks as if it was LR that someone let dry out. I'll be picking up a good amount of LR from a petstore near me thats going out of business. I'll probobly pick up the remainder of the LR from liverocks.com.

I wanted 5Gal buckets so I can move them. I'll need to clear them out of the area before I can start work on my new basement sump.

Back
Top Bottom