Curing rubble rock??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok i have 15lbs of rubble rock coming tomorrow from www.marcorocks.com that I want to put in my sump after curing. Is it best to use new RO/DI water or just water from a water change? Is it best to put a piece of live rock and some sand in the container with a piece of shrimp or should I just put 15lbs of rubble rock, piece of shrimp and add bacteria? How often should I do a water change and how much? Sorry for somany questions. Just wanna make sure I am doing right.

You can use water taken from a water change, that's probably the easiest and most eco-friendly. If you wanted you could use fresh SW though, it really doesn't matter.

You really just need to cure it, not necessarily try to cycle it. Just let it sit in the water with a heater and a powerhead to keep the water moving and monitor the water parameters. no need to add any LR, sand, shrimp or bacteria. All you're trying to do is ensure all the dead stuff on there isn't going to leech ammonia or other bad stuff into your tank. Then, once it's cured, you can put it in your tank and over time it will become live without affecting your tank in the process.

Thanks for the link. So, yes you need to cycle this rock. The cycle would be more like a mini-cycle but cycle non the least. All the reason to test this daily because the cycle will be small and fast.

Thanks for the link. So, yes you need to cycle this rock. The cycle would be more like a mini-cycle but cycle non the least. All the reason to test this daily because the cycle will be small and fast.

kinda what I was thinking will add a little sand, maybe a piece of live rock from my tank and i guess a piece of shrimp. I was thinking and as much trouble as I have with my tank lately i think I will use fresh saltwater too

The rock will self-cycle. No need to add anything from the tank. There is usually enough dead stuff in that rock to start a cycle without any additions. Just add water <g>.

The rock will self-cycle. No need to add anything from the tank. There is usually enough dead stuff in that rock to start a cycle without any additions. Just add water <g>.

Put 10g of fresh made saltwater in a rubbermaid container with a Hydor 2. Will put rock in tonight. Don't i need to add bacteria?

As cmor said, just add water. There is enough organic material on the rock to cycle it through until you put it in your tank. Just monitor your ammonia and nitrites as you would in a regular cycle.

Pick out what would look good in your tank and sell the rest back to your LFS for at least Store credit on future buys.

I will just hang onto anything I dont use. If I can ever get my 55 straight I am going to start a 90g upgrade

We have an excellent article in our SW article section about curing LR. It is a very good article.

Nitrites have shown up so hopefully it will not take to long for them to drop so I can add the rock to my sump.

Back
Top Bottom