Curious!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
How hard is to keep a salt water tank? I have a 20g fresh water for a month and a half now and I've been wanting a salt water because I love all the beautiful fish I see in my local fish store. I really want to set a small salt water tank. Thinking a 10 gallon tank. Any advice from experts will help.

It's only as hard as you make it (fish only, fish type, coral,etc.). A small tank will limit your fish choices so you may want to consider larger. There's some significant time required to get one up an running but after that it isn't bad. I spend probably less than 1 hr per week on my 57 gal and I've been moderately successful at keeping coral and fish for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's harder then freshwater and certainly more expensive. I found it far more fun than freshwater. Do lots of research and start with a decent size tank. I got a 40 and already wish it was a 90

It's harder then freshwater and certainly more expensive. I found it far more fun than freshwater. Do lots of research and start with a decent size tank. I got a 40 and already wish it was a 90

I disagree it is harder than fw. Just more work until the tank has matured and then it kinda runs itself. No gravel vacuuming is definitely a big + in my book.

I disagree it is harder than fw. Just more work until the tank has matured and then it kinda runs itself. No gravel vacuuming is definitely a big + in my book.

I agree, in a salt water fish only tank the basics apply to both fresh and salt. The only difference is you have to match salinity.

Adding coral can be difficult because you start to run into more algae problems with the increased amount of light.

Well thank a lot everyone ... Will start doing research and see if I really want
To jump in into salt water tank.

Well thank a lot everyone ... Will start doing research and see if I really want
To jump in into salt water tank.

Do the research and come back with all the questions you can. I kept (still do) FW for 30 years on and of. More on than off. I was so skeptical about it forever. I traded a friend some firewood for his old 14g BioCube. I wish I did it a long time ago !!!!! The only downside that I can say is just like FW, smaller tanks are a bit more difficult (in the beginning) in regards to maintaining water quality. Once you get the hang of it, smooth sailing !!! My best advice as a SW noob is the two best investments are a quality test kit and a refractometer. From there it's a breeze !!!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom