curly cue vs. aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
how can you tell the difference between the two? the picture on Liveaquaria.com looks like what i thought was aiptasia. anyone know how to differenciate?

Attachments

• im001625.jpg
    im001625.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 245
  • p_89098.jpg
    p_89098.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 574
That thing on your rock looks like the aptasia that I had come in on my LR.com order. I don't know how to tell them apart except that the aptasia has sort of a christmas tree bulb shape to the parts as opposed to that other that looks more uniform taper to it. The curly cue looks like it has stripes. The aptasia that I had didn't. The little ones that I had in the tank looked just like your photo. The big ones were huge. My peppermint shrimp ate them.

but mine does have stripes, you just cant tell cause i'm a terrible picture taker :wink: ill try and get a better pic for ya

That's apstasia. The curlycue has crinkled (for lack of a better word) tentacles.

The one you have is most likely aiptasia. Curlyque and aiptasia's are closely related. A curlyque can be almost as big of a pest as an aiptasia, except they don't reproduce as quickly IME. I HAD a curlyque with 3-4 inch tentacles eat a fully grown fire shrimp. Notice HAD!

thanks fluff. i should just pm you all time! you're always the one who figures out my little dilemmas! and your right the curly cue on the site you listed is nothing like mine or the one on liveaquaria! thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom