cyano..cyano..cyano..!@#$$!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
do anyone know what will eat that stuff...I think I know the source of my P04 but, How do I get rid of it without spreading it? TIA

totally covered all my rock in sand and cleaned the back of my tank off and moved it to the front. BAre glass in the back and 6-8 inches of sand against the front of the glass....

ok heres my plan of attack:

I havent fed my fish in two days just nori

got the P04 absorber..how long do keep that in my filter?

running carbon

got 8 snails today

no "real" corals yet, just goniopora..It seems to love the water condition..so just one 65watt actinic pc for the whole day

should I do a big water change?

and last resort, Chem-clean?

Mine burned itself out in about a week. Keep close tabs on your nitrates, I also pointed my ph toward the surface so there was more water movement at the top. Don't know if that is what caused it to burn out, but it disappeared by itself. Hope this helps.

Terry

What is your source water? Test it for PO4. That is gennerally where it comes from. I wouold try the chem-clean. It worked great for me. Turn off your skimmer, remove the GAC and add it to the tank. Be ready to do a water change after 24-48 hours. Good luck! Lando

Almost forgot...If you have large areas of cyno, siphin it up before the chemi-clean Tx. Try not to break it up or it will spread. As long as you have the source of PO4 nailed down, I would use it to get the cyno out of your tank. It really worked wonders for me.

What is your source water?
I usually use RO/DI water from a vending machine, but last week got lazy and bought some pre-mix SW from LFS about 5 gal worth and a day later that stuff took off.

Id never tested the water from the vending machine only because cyano and algea had never been an issue for me till last week when I got pre-mixed SW from lfs and whats funny is I specifically asked if it had PO4 in it the guy told me its perfect water :roll: ..I should have known better :evil: just look at my tank seems like the 8 snails I got yesterday are making a small dent :|

I had a major cyano problem a couple of weeks ago. The following was my non-chem method of removal (75G)

bought about 20 assorted snails (astrea/nass/marg), 2 mexican turbos
bought about 20 blue legged hermits, 5 striped hermits, 5 red legs
Returned my fish (clown, 3 bluegreen chromis) to the store
Bought a mimic tang & added it (for green hair and turf algae)
turned off the light for 2 straight days
Performed daily 5G water changes for a week
Have been running 50% lighting since (only 2 96W PCs for the last 2 weeks)

cyano was eliminated (It had even been growing and smothering corals).

-Yanek.

*update* bought Chem-clean to get a head start on cyano and its been in my tank for about an hour now...I see some results. will definitely get allot more snails. The phosphate sponge didnt doing anything that I noticed.thanks everybody! :D

My daughter's tank is having a cyano problem. I think it came in on the live sand substrate as my tank does not have it and we used the same water. I ordered chemi-clean and it looks as if it is working.

its only been a day now and most of the cyano on the LR and LS is gone. I think the name of this product discourages people from using it, my fish dont seem stressed out at all and its not affecting the coralline algea growth. I didnt know I had so much coralline growing because it was covered in cyano. they should change the name to Cyano-clean or something like that :mrgreen:

That is good news. The stuff does work great. Just make sure you do a 15-20% water change 24-48 hours after the dosing. This should help remove any of the left over chemical.

I have used chemiclean with great results but you have to fix your phos also. If your phos isn't fixed it will com back quickly. I also have a mexican hare sea slug that loves eating it. We call him "shrek" for obvious reasons once you see one... LOL

Back
Top Bottom