Cyano or Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nøjo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just finished my cycle just over two weeks ago, and now have a bit of an algae problem. Green hair algae is proving to be a bit of a nuisance, but other than scraping it off the glass weekly it's not that big a deal. My other algae problem, however, has really got my attention.

It started in the corners, a golden brown colour that did little more than turn spots of my sand a darker colour. At first I wasn't sure if it was anything to worry about but over the span of a couple days it quickly grew to covering the entire front of the sandbed. I had my MH lights running, and turning them off during the day (nothing in the tank needed them) really seemed to curb the problem. Being aware that cyano is a common problem with new tanks, I underwent a treatment for that using Poly-Ox and therefore oxidizing the tank. Everything went well and within two weeks the sandbed was clear. Once the lights were turned back on, however, the problem came back strongly, as if the algae didn't seem to fade or deminish at all. It wasn't thick nor slimey, just little more than a darker shade of sand.

The fact that the algae came back so strongly suggested to the resident pro at the LFS that the problem was maybe not cyano but diatoms - not apparently not as common when using RO/DI yet still possible. He also told me that diatoms (sorry if I butchered the spelling) will turn the sand a darker shade, but after feeding on whatever nitrates and silicates that are there it should all fade away and I'll have a nice, healthy tank. Can anyone share any ideas or thoughts on this? I would like to know exactly what the problem may be. And what the heck are diatoms anyway? Is this what is known as "new tank syndrome"?

Thank you in advance.

ps - water parameters are great, everything reading 0, and my circulation is keeping everything flowing nicely.

yes your correct it will burn itself out within time all new tanks usually go threw the brown algae stage

Get a good sand sifter and he will keep it turned over for you. I still after 8 yrs have my sand turn brown till stirred by my goby.

good sign your cycle is really over. If it gets bad leave the lights out for a day or two.. that might help.

Thanks all for replying

Sand sifters...is this only limited to fish? I have my eye on a reef safe starfish in the store and may pick that up. What kind of goby do you have?

I had the lights out and it really cuts it back, yet it still starts up again. If it's this common then I won't lose any more sleep over it, I was worried I had a cyano outbreak.

One more thing...my powerheads have a thick coat of the same green hair algae that I have previously removed from the glass. Is it wise to keep it or should I scrap that off as well? I didn't know whether to remove it or just let the crabs pick away at it.

A sand sifting starfish is not the best answer. It will consume beneficial critters in your sand bed and then quite often starve to death. Nass snails are a good option for sand sifting purposes.

You might want to click the link in my signature and do a search in the dbase for sand sifting creature options...

thanks for the compliments folks...if think of something that might be useful to add, be sure to message me. It is hard to think of it all when it is a work in progress, I still find myself thinking I missed something.

(sorry to hijack the thread)

No worries about the hijacking...thanks for the helpful link.

One more thing...I have green hair algae on one of my powerheads, which I've just left there. Should I be vigilant about removing it or does it not have to be dealt with? I am wondering if there is a chance it could spore off or spread again. Does it have to been kept completely out of your tank? I've removed it from all other places but left the powerhead with it because it looks pretty cool with the water flowing over it.

well, on the chance of going against mainstream hobbiests, I actually leave the hair algae that grows in my overflow boxes at the top..I will prune it once a month when I do water changes, but I feel it does a service in there by using up excess nutrients in the tank. I do hunt for any in the main tank to make sure I get it removed before it takes hold. That being said, I realize it wasnt much help to you.

How often do you have to feed your crabs? Do the algae eaters just feed off the stuff on the live rock or do you have to throw in a little extra every once in a while? I'm not sure they could sustain themselves, as I have a pretty clean tank.

I watch them every time I feed my fish. I have the same problem it just looks like they dont get enough to eat but they do. every once in a while I will throw in a couple extra pieces and make sure that they eat it because you dont want food in the tank that does not get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom