Cyano - Substrate - Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well the only way to get rid of my Cyano was to syphon it off with a 3/4" hose. It was sucked right off the bottom fast and easy. However, it did also suck up a fair amount of my LS too.

The combination was syphoned into a spare pail. I poured the water out of the pail and let the substrate & Cyano dry out for a week. I assume that both are now dead. Can I just rinse the sand off and put it back into the tank?

You know, that is a really good question. I have no definitive answer for you. I would think that there is a possibility that the bacteria could be in a dormant form, but that is pure supposition. Maybe bake it before putting it back in, at a high temp for 3o minutes or so.

I think worst case scenario is you will end up with the same problem a little farther up the road.

My tanks are in my office. No oven available. Maybe I could I zap it in the microwave? Sounds funny but it just might work.

For one, next time use a gravel vac, which tumbles the substrate thus releasing debris and keeping ls in the tank. Second, if you wish to thoroughly clean the sand (begin anew) you could bleach it in the bucket for a half hour, empty water, add fresh water, and sts (sodium thiosulfate). I; on the other hand, would much rather soak or rinse in fw and then add it to the tank...

I dont know either for sure but I `d almost say better safe than sorry and just add new sand. Sand is not that expensive.

For one, next time use a gravel vac, which tumbles the substrate thus releasing debris and keeping ls in the tank.

Actually, I tried this a few times. The vac sifts the sand just fine. Only problem is the Cyano clumps up and is heavier than the fine sand. At first it looks like its working but within an hour or two the cyano is spread back all over the substrate again. Looks like magic.

Using a straight 3/4" tube there was sufficient suction to suck the Cyano right off the top without loosing much. It just takes a bit of sand along with strong uplifting current.

try using chemi clean on the removed substrate after you rewet it then follow the instructions on it... add back your sand slowly... if you dont want to treat it starve it for a few days from light and foods

Sadielynn said:
try using chemi clean on the removed substrate after you rewet it then follow the instructions on it... add back your sand slowly... if you dont want to treat it starve it for a few days from light and foods
That's pretty much what I did.
After a month long battle with cyano in my 125gal I had collected more than half of a 5gal bucket of my sand with the cyano.
I just dumped out the water and let the bucket sit in my garage for a few weeks.
It never got completely dried out but all the cyano starved away and I just added it back to the tank with no problem and no further outbreak... knock on wood.
And just for the record, I also treated the tank 4 times with chemiclean over that month.

Back
Top Bottom