Cycle already near complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WebbedFishToes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So it's been a week since my tank was setup. 75gal tank with 68 pounds of live rock, 4 bags of live sand, canister filter, heater, and been adding aquavitro seed.

Today I got my test kit in and decided to test the water. The test show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10ppm nitrate.

I thought it would take weeks for the ammonia and nitrite to be replaced by nitrate? Is this normal for the levels to be what they are?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think what you are seeing is normal if you have NOT added an ammonia source such as a raw shrimp (carcass) or pure ammonia. My understanding is that the ammonia level should be elevated to a point (say 4.0 ppm) using one of the methods above to start things off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The cycle is complete otherwise you wouldn't be getting a nitrate Reading As the seeding product and the live Sand can work at different speeds, as all systems are different, all you need to do now is a water change and you're ready to go but don't dive in straightaway buying to many fish at once take your time and allowed the good bacteria to build up in your rock.

Back
Top Bottom