Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
For a 70g tank I have been cycling. I started with a raw shrimp. After 2 weeks of decaying it started to stink, so I pulled it out.

Ammonia went to 8.0 then over a weeks went to 0ppm

Three weeks later my my nitrites are at 5.0+ and not moving.

Nitrates are at 20ppm and not moving up anymore.

I am patient, but curious if there is anything I could do to help. Per another thread, I added some BB in a Bottle (still don't think it's real) but tried it anyhow. No budge.

Would a water change help? If i did do a water change I was reading a fish can help sometimes if the cycle stalls. I do not want to be cruel however. Even if those damsels killed one of my prized fish in a tank I had growing up lol.

No don't do a water change that will just slow things down. Its just waiting it takes about 30 days. The BB in a bottle i tired too also did not work it must be a scam lol. I guess you could add a damsel but it would suffer. Only do a water change after the cycle is complete.

If you decide to add a damsel you could use a product like PRIME to neutralize the Ammonia, and nitrite.

So I would dose prime everyday to keep the nitrites at bay. But my nitrates would still grow? That sounds... Magical lol. That thread was from 2006, I wider if there has been any new discoveries.

Back
Top Bottom