Cycle Stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I setup the tank a week ago now, threw in the nice fresh shrimp and let the tank sit, so yesterday I tested my ammonia levels and they were at about 0.5 (using the API liquid test kit) and so I let it rest and then today just for practice I did the test again and tested all the rest as well.

my ammonia is down to 0 and my nitrites and nitrates are also at 0. Did the cycle have a mini spike and now nothing?

but at the same time my white sand and LR have turned brown, the LR went from going white, to slight purple then brown and the sand is turning brown all over the place.

I found I have 4 or 5 small hermit crabs as hitchhikers and they seem to be doing ok.

Also the Media in my filter I have is from an established tank, the tank setup for over a year so any ideas if I maybe stalled the cycle out or is this normal?

Was your LR already cycled? If it was then you might not see much of a cycle. Also a week is not really long. You might see something this week. That media from another tank will definitely help.

The brown stuff is probably diatoms. They will burn them selves out and be gone in a few weeks.

yes the LR was in a fully setup tank when I got it. just curious as to why the ammonia would go up very little then to nothing, shouldnt it go up and stay up? untill the Nitrite starts?

Usually you`ll get high ammonia because you dont have enough nitrifying bacteria. If you already have established LR then you have plenty of the nitrifying bacteria that is already consuming the ammonia and turning it into nitrites and then nitrates. That`s why people that use cured LR generally dont see much of a cycle.

so I should just keep watching my levels for now then? or would it be safe to slowly start adding the clean up crew?

Here are my test results

SG 1.024
ph-8.3
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Temp 78

As mike stated due to your LR it looks like you had a fast cylcle and it looks like you can add animals to your setup slowly. Just remember to add them slowly.

Back
Top Bottom