cycle with bottled water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carioca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im starting a new 30g. tank and was wondering if i can use bottled or tap water while the tank is cycling. It will be a fishless cycle and i will add 25 pds of l.r.
Once the tank is cycled i would replace 75% or 100% of the water with d.i. water. Used only d.i. water on my smaller tank but i was just curious if this can be done this way. :?:

If you are using bottled water go with distilled. It may help to keep some nuisance algaes down during the cycle.

Why not use the good water from the beginning?? i don't understand why people are using tap water to cycle then use the good water after? Makes no scense to me. Bottled spring water can be worse then tap water and is not a plus IMO, if you must use bottled use distilled.
If you have bad tap water then you might be setting your tank up for an algae problem right from day one.
I see not benifit in setting up a new tank and using tap or bottled water.. If you have ro or ro/di water you should use it from the beginning.. Why start a tank off on the wrong foot.

AR15 guy said:
I would keep whatever what you cycle with in there. I wouldn't do a huge water change like that. No real point.

ditto

I believe distilled water is more pure than RO/DI. Distilled water is created through a process called distillation. Untreated water is converted into water vapor, which is then condensed back into liquid form. Most of the contaminants are left behind in the boiling chamber, with the condensed water being virtually contaminant-free.

Definately don't use spring or drinking water. Bottle water labeled "drinking water" often contains excess minerals added for taste. It would not be in your best interest to use this in a marine environment.

Back
Top Bottom