Cycling And Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have found a way that I might be able to get a refugium and a protein skimmer. I will probably be going with a hang on the back skimmer if anything but no one said the refugium had to be a tank. I have 5g buckets and different stuff laying around in which I might be able to create a refugium out of. The only problem would be now the intake and out take but what do you guys think.

You can build it out of anything that's saltwater proof. Many of us use Rubbermaid tubs for frag tanks and even sumps. Cheap and works great. Easy to drill.

You can build it out of anything that's saltwater proof. Many of us use Rubbermaid tubs for frag tanks and even sumps. Cheap and works great. Easy to drill.

interesting info looks like I have a fun diy project on my hands now.

Ok now there is another problem. Ether my API test kit is giving me false readings or the cycle is going to take longer than expected. I have had about the same readings for the past 4 days I believe now ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401037165.976399.jpg

Ok now there is another problem. Ether my API test kit is giving me false readings or the cycle is going to take longer than expected. I have had about the same readings for the past 4 days I believe now View attachment 238370

False readings from API is usually with ammonia test in the 0.25 - 0.50 range... At 8 ppm I think you will have to do a little water change....

My API nitrite test never gave me any readings... Never got a nitrate reading in the saltwater too with API...

So how will I know if the cycle is finished and could that amount of ammonia kill bacteria

There are 2 possible explanations why you have same readings for the past 4 days. It's either you don't have any bacteria on your rocks yet or your readings are false. With such high ammonia, there should be nitrite readings if your rocks are really live when your first got them. As I mentioned before, no water change until your nitrate is high. Otherwise, you are prolonging the cycling process.

I have had some changes from the last time I have checked my tank. My ammonia is (8.0) while my nitrite is now (0.25) while nitrate is still 0. Another thing I noticed is around the net there seems to be some slime and I took some off its kind of heavy any reason to be concerned. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401324209.709224.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401324238.387149.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401324259.341779.jpg

You may need another more week before ammonia goes down. Nitrite will then reach its peak and swing downward while nitrate will go up. However, in the pic I see base rocks. It may take longer without seeding with LR.

Back
Top Bottom