Cycling new tank - jumbo shrimp are now mostly gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I added 6 jumbo shrimp to cycle my 180G - it's been about 3 weeks, and they're mostly gone now. Should I add more? Ammonia and 'trites are still too high to add fish (I'm doing 'fish-friendly' cycling this time).

Ammonia has been at 4.0 for the last few days, dropping a tiny bit (maybe) today. Nitrites are climbing - from 0.5 yesterday to the 2.0-5.0 range (in between those two) today. Haven't tested for trates yet, but I will tonight.

The tank definately SMELLS better now. It was pretty nasty after the first week.

For more info, see my build thread here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=824646#824646

I'm just concerned that once the ammonia is "used up", the nitrobacter (whatever?) wont' have anything more to feed on and it will weaken.

You need to let the cycle move on past the ammonia stage. You have nitrates climbing so that is good. Just sit back and wait at this point... NO water changes NO additives.. Just work on keeping Salinity stable and keep testing water. Adding more shrimp is just gonna drag things on at this point..

It sounds like your cycle is doing it's thing. I would not add more shrimp or it will cause a new cycle and possibly kill off the nitrItes. You should see the ammonia drop to 0 and nitrItes spike and then the nitrAtes start raising along with the decline of nitrItes.

As others have said already, you want to see you ammonia go up, then go to zero. The same with your nitrites. In a few weeks, you should have ZERO ammonia and ZERO nitrites, and a bunch of nitrates. Your bacteria will do just fine.

If once your cycle is completely finished, if you wait and don't add any fish for a week or two, THEN you'll need to add an ammonia source to keep your bacteria happy. A bit of food (flake, pellets, or frozen) is all you need. You don't need much.

I agree also. Dont add any more shrimp and let the cycle do it`s thing. Once you are where the others said with no ammonia and nitrites and just nitrates then you can do a good size PWC and slowly add livestock.

Back
Top Bottom