Cyno! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cyano is one heck of a battle. A long time ago I thought mine was coralline algae (didn't know anything) and I let it grow everywhere. Getting rid of it was a hassle and after months I succumbed to using a product to get rid of it. Worked, but caused a mini cycle.

His phosphate reading might not be a good indicator. The cyano and other algae might be consuming most of it and a test might show a lower number than what's truly in there.

True, but it's still a decent indicator. There's always some algae in our tanks. At least this way the OP can make sure his phophates aren't rediculously high.

With rowaphos it's best in a reactor but does come with a filter bag that can just be placed in the sump as long as it has a lot of water movement maybe in an overflow filter sock not sure of your set up

For GFO to work best, it needs to be tumbled in a reactor.
I would also look into a different GFO than Rowaphos. It is very expensive and I have not seem any testing done that shows it to be the best GFO phosphate remover.
Bulk Reef Supply sells 2 different types of GFO and I would recommend either, with the HC being better.
Prices:
Rowaphos- aprox $25 for 250ml
BRS regular GFO - $23 for 453 grams
BRS GFO HC - $60 for 794 gram
(assuming Rowaphos is the same density as GFO, 1ml=1gram)

Research is needed here on different types of phosphate remover and plenty of reads on how rowa is the best

I'm not sure what you mean by "plenty of reads on how rowa is the best", but anyone can post whatever they want on a forum such as this. Just like you said rowaphos is the best, but what do you have to back that up with? As far as I know, there have not been any lab controlled, scientific studies done on the different types of GFO. Granular ferric oxide works by binding phosphate to itself. Does a grain of rowaphos bind more phosphate to itself than a grain of another type of GFO which may be half the cost? For rowaphos to be cost effective, it would have to bind 2x as much phosphate as the Bulk Reef Supply GFO, for example.
Does rowaphos work? Yes it does. Does the cheaper BRS GFO work? Yes it does. Which is better? No one can say for certain until controlled studies are done, and those studies are not cheap. Would a certain manufacturer want to fund that study and then publish the results if the study shows their particular GFO isn't the best? Probably not, which may be why it hasn't been done yet.

Back
Top Bottom