Cyno takeover!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharklover

Aquarium Advice Freak
Y red cyno is really bad now and ive tried adding a pump,for more water circulation,got new lightbulbs,thicker window shades,new filter media,cleaning it and even boiling my water before adding to my tank to kill impurities,also lowered tank temp,and rose salinity which ive heard helps,and lastly drasticly reduced feedings and light and after my exauhsting 3 month battle with it im actually loosing to a single cell organism and the tank has gotten worse any ideas?

Every 3rd week i do about 20%,cuz thats wut my lfs and a few people on aa told me would be adequit

Boiling tap cuz i cant afford rodi water evry pwc or the unit but i figured its better than nothing but i have a 10g using tap and no cyno same with my freinds tank and my tank was cyno free for the first 2 months set up so i dont think its the water

Ummmmm 20% every 3 weeks isn't enough. I do 30% a week on a 150 and I have to change 45 g of water.

Ok so ill up it to 25% evry other week but will more pwc's help my cyno problem

Cyano is a result of excess nutrients in the water. Doing more pwcs will remove these nitrates and nutrients hopefully starving the cyano.

I don't think boiling will help much, doesn't do anything your chlorinated water hasn't all ready done. Distilling the water would be good but hard to do without a "still" but maybe possible.
If you want to cheat use this product called chem-I-clean it will not hurt fish, shrimp, corals ect. I used it in my 47g reef tank with no adverse effects to any animals and I have a little bit of everything, clowns, shrimp, misc. hitchhiker crabs, pods, worms, an anemone, acropora montipora, zoas, kenya tree, polyps, mushrooms, sponges, a sea urchin, and everything was in the tank and seemed unaffected. I was cyano free in 3 days and have been for over a month now. Just Sayin.

View attachment 89442

I've heard it's a mild dose of tetracycline, I dosed my tank per the instructions for 40g so a slight under dose. And it was effective.

I have also used Chemiclean and can vouch for it's effectiveness. However, I was not thrilled with having my skimmer off for two days, and it didn't work quite right for several days after. I would consider using ChemiClean to be a last resort, but if you do get to that point, it will work.
It should be noted that unless you solve the problem that caused the initial outbreak, the cyano will come back.

It was $20, It was worth it, because it worked, you could actually see it working, after dosing the next day there was noticibly less cyano. Yes it will mess up your skimmer for at least 5 days, bubbles and foams like crazy

you will have to do multiple large water changes to remove it the chemiclean.
The cyano will come back if you haven't corrected your nutrient issue.
The boiling water thing is a waste of time. You are treating the water with prime or amquel before adding it, correct?

No i wasnt doing that but after heavy cleaning yesterday,its better so if i keep it up and then use chemiclean and up my pwc a little i think i could do it

Back
Top Bottom