dadgum emerald crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redneckgearhead

Aquarium Advice Freak
If this emerald crab i bought last week doesnt stop eating my corline off my rocks hes goin in the sump! grrrrr

He wont mind it in the sump but make sure that`s what he`s doing because most likely he`s just eating algea off the rock. Crabs get a bum rap alot of times.

He wont mind it in the sump but make sure that`s what he`s doing because most likely he`s just eating algea off the rock. Crabs get a bum rap alot of times.

I agree with Mike. Everyone seems to hate emerald crabs, but mine have only done good, and never done bad. I mean.. they trampled over my zoas once.. but they didn't harm it. The zoas opened back up in a few seconds. Crabs are big algae grazers, so i put my money on the fact that he's just eating algae. It could be a coincidence that the coraline under the crab disappears because it's a well known fact that corraline can come and go as calcium levels raise and drop, since that's what corraline feeds off of. Just something to think about before you banish the crab. :)

Honestly though.. a sump really isn't such a punishment to a crab lol. If anything.. he'll do better in the sump, if there's tons of junk down there like algae, pods, anything else that thrives in the fuges/sumps.

I like my emerald crabs more then my fish lol. My biggest one likes to come out to the front glass and raise his claws like he's flexing saying, "You want some of this?"
I'll try to get a pic next time. I think some people get paranoid because like Zero said, they tend to just walk where they please. Heck my turbo's do more damage then my crabs by knocking junk over.

I have one, I haven't seen him in a while though.

Even if he does scratch the coraline, all he is going to do is spread it.

I used to have two emerald crabs and once i didn't see both of them for an entire week, then one day they both just popped up. I think the bigger tank you have, and the more LR you have, the less you will see them since they will be spending more time grazing the rocks in areas you can't see.

I too love my Emerald crab, would like to get one for my second tank. Like they're said before I won't see him for a week or maybe two. Just about that point he'll decide to come to the front and "flex" even though he's missing his claws. I was thinking the same that cabezon, that if he is munching it, little pieces will fall and spread.

Back
Top Bottom