DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I'm in the process of planning my next tank. Won't be for awhile as me n my gf are moving as of next May so we wanna get to where were going first then start the new tank(less to take with us).

My first and main question, is it better to get a tank with built in overflows and whatnot or just a standard 90G without anything? I know nothing about sumps/overflows/refugiums so bare with me as I am a quick learner :)

Next question is, what size sump would u recommend? Protein skimmer? Etc.

Like I said this is going to be an ongoing project, mainly just gathering information at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Ok guess I'll start lol I'm guessing a 29 gallon sump would be sufficient enough for a 90G or do you think bigger? I would want it to be under my tank so it would obviously have to fit. I've done some light reading on sumps and are starting to understand them a little more.

Any fellow members wanna chime in?

Your not being ignored, I just can't help lol. I have a bio cube 29. I don't know anything about sumps, fuges etc...

Wish I had a bigger tank

Sorry bro

Convict2161 said:
Your not being ignored, I just can't help lol. I have a bio cube 29. I don't know anything about sumps, fuges etc...

Wish I had a bigger tank

Sorry bro

Haha nah its cool man, I understand that, I only have a 29G tank as well right now :)

Built in overflow is the best and easiest. As for a refigium when you get the stand measure the area and go from there. You would want enough room to get under there for any maintence the longer the better not the higher.your doing it right taking your time to research

Daniel Fishy said:
Built in overflow is the best and easiest. As for a refigium when you get the stand measure the area and go from there. You would want enough room to get under there for any maintence the longer the better not the higher.your doing it right taking your time to research

Yeah I figured built in overflows would be better but prob more expensive. A standard 90G is I believe 48 1/2 across so I guess the stand would be a lil bit bigger than that.. I figure half of that for the sump/refugium? So I give myself some room?

Base the size of the sump you want for how big your skimmer is and what else you want to put in it. If you want a refugium, probably need a little more space, if you want filter sock(s), that's added space, and depending on how big your return pump is (internal pump, more space in sump; external pump, more space out of it). For my 70 gallon tank I got a 55 gallon sump. 1/3 is the refugium, the section in the middle is for the filter sock, skimmer, pumps, and heater, and the last is a bubble trap and exit chamber thing to my external pump (7"). I wanted the sump to be taller than others so I could have more water in my refugium (kind of off to the side and a maxi-jet pumps water into it and the water falls over a baffle). Basically, first pick what you want in there and then choose what size will be appropriate to accommodate it. Hope to see it up and running in the future (y).

I would say a 29 is fine. It is a 3rd of the display size. Check out some DIY refugium builds on YouTube.

I am running a 5.5 gallon sump on my 29 cube and a 20g sump on my 30 high end tank.

Interesting.. 55g sump on a 70g and a 5.5g on a 29g lol can someone explain what a refugium is? And what it does? :/ sorry in advance, like I said I'm a beginner with the big stuff lol

Refugium is a refuge, or safe place for macroalgae and pods to grow. Chaeto is the most popular macroalgae as it not only removes nitrates, but also is the only macroalgae that doesn't sexually reproduce, releasing toxins into the water and harming your corals. To trim it, you just rip a piece off and toss it or give it away. Chaeto and some other macroalgaes don't need special lighting, so a $10 reflector from home depot and a 6500K daylight GE spiral bulb will do. (some say the lower the K rating, the better). You can have sand in there for worms and such, or just rock rubble. Either way, it's pretty much a place for growing the things that could be eaten in the DT. Reverse lighting (having DT lights on during day and refugium light on during night) is what many people do. I forgot exactly why, but it basically balances it out. Sorry I can't remember, hope someone else knows!

obscurereef said:
Refugium is a refuge, or safe place for macroalgae and pods to grow. Chaeto is the most popular macroalgae as it not only removes nitrates, but also is the only macroalgae that doesn't sexually reproduce, releasing toxins into the water and harming your corals. To trim it, you just rip a piece off and toss it or give it away. Chaeto and some other macroalgaes don't need special lighting, so a $10 reflector from home depot and a 6500K daylight GE spiral bulb will do. (some say the lower the K rating, the better). You can have sand in there for worms and such, or just rock rubble. Either way, it's pretty much a place for growing the things that could be eaten in the DT. Reverse lighting (having DT lights on during day and refugium light on during night) is what many people do. I forgot exactly why, but it basically balances it out. Sorry I can't remember, hope someone else knows!

No this is great info!! Thank you! I had no idea what it was used for. Basically its a place for all the "crap" to grow so it doesn't go into your DT? Makes sense now lol

Just found a 90G reef ready tank with a stand and external pump for $150, apparently in great condition.. think I should take it? Doesn't have a lid/light/sump or anything like that.. just the tank/stand/external pump

:lol: It's not reef ready if it has no light...Ask if the external pump is working. What brand is it and how old is it? Also ask these questions about the tank. Seems okay..try to negotiate it down to $100 if you can or $125.

Well whatever haha he said its called a "little giant" or something like that and its as old as the tank which is about 3 years, said it still works perfectly and is really quiet

DanS180

I bought a little 29 gallon tank, with everything!! I can tell you all the old stuff was updated almost as soon as I got it. It's still better than buying a tank brand new and spending almost 600 dollars for JUST the tank and stand. So if the tank looks good and the stand looks good than go for it. Save yourself some money!! Use the money you saved to buy lights a better filter and whatever else you need.

baron1282 said:
DanS180

I bought a little 29 gallon tank, with everything!! I can tell you all the old stuff was updated almost as soon as I got it. It's still better than buying a tank brand new and spending almost 600 dollars for JUST the tank and stand. So if the tank looks good and the stand looks good than go for it. Save yourself some money!! Use the money you saved to buy lights a better filter and whatever else you need.

That's what I was thinking.. mainly just get this for the tank and stand alone considering I won't actually b putting this tank together for awhile. Gives me time to plan out what equipment I'm gonna get and to save money for what I want :) just need a place to store it now, wasn't expecting to find a good deal on such short notice

LoL!!

I can't wait to start a bigger tank. I think I will go BIG next time and get the tank I want. A 200 gallon or maybe bigger. I might have to buy the tank and stand new as I think if I were to go bigger I want an acrylic tank. If I can find what I want on CL than I will go for it. I might do a 90 gallon soon, I am only scared to go bigger because I might be moving a lot in the next five years. So a 90 gallon will suck moving, but at least it's more doable than a 200 gallon. :p

baron1282 said:
LoL!!

I can't wait to start a bigger tank. I think I will go BIG next time and get the tank I want. A 200 gallon or maybe bigger. I might have to buy the tank and stand new as I think if I were to go bigger I want an acrylic tank. If I can find what I want on CL than I will go for it. I might do a 90 gallon soon, I am only scared to go bigger because I might be moving a lot in the next five years. So a 90 gallon will suck moving, but at least it's more doable than a 200 gallon. :p

Yeah that's true! That's why I'm not putting it together now bc me n my gf are moving when our lease is up next May, so I don't wanna start a tank, have it established then have tear it down just to move it ya know? Rather just wait to get to where we're goin then set it up :)

A 200 gallon tank would be nice, you could do a lot with that but also very pricey lol I have a 180G tank I'm trying to sell. I used it for freshwater and decided it'd be too expensive to convert :/

Yeah that's true! That's why I'm not putting it together now bc me n my gf are moving when our lease is up next May, so I don't wanna start a tank, have it established then have tear it down just to move it ya know? Rather just wait to get to where we're goin then set it up :)

A 200 gallon tank would be nice, you could do a lot with that but also very pricey lol I have a 180G tank I'm trying to sell. I used it for freshwater and decided it'd be too expensive to convert :/

Agreed!! Saltwater is expensive. That's why I have to wait until I am more established. Were almost talking about 8 to 10 thousands dollars to do it right. I want to do one, but want to be established and living in a home that I know I will be living for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom