Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
Like I said, some of mine got smaller and crinklier, a much more textured surface and they reproduced quite quickly, so they must be healthy. My best guess is the PAR is higher and they don't have to deploy as much surface area as they did.

Yeah,..I remembered you mentioned that before,..so I was prepared for it possibly happening,.....so far it's only happened to one rock and a couple of individuals on a nearby rock,..( my cheapest mushrooms too )..not really a big deal so far,..but we'll see what happens in time. How long would you figure it'll take for all the corals to have fully acclimated to their new light source ?

a few observations concerning the LED's in the last few days,.....as I posted in another thread,...a lot of my mushrooms are actually bigger and healthier looking under the LED's than the t5's, ...and as stated earlier, but a few have swiveled up a little too,...pretty interesting to watch things unfold,...a rock containing a bunch of green polyps have started to swell and stock outwards too,...beautiful to see.
I also have notice that I haven't got near the amount of nuisance algae on the glass either using these lights... :- ). ... I'm also switching my salt mix from the cheap coral life blend to the red sea pro mix simply because of all the added corals ,..who knows what tomorrow may bring but that's my report for today....

Dary421 said:
a few observations concerning the LED's in the last few days,.....as I posted in another thread,...a lot of my mushrooms are actually bigger and healthier looking under the LED's than the t5's, ...and as stated earlier, but a few have swiveled up a little too,...pretty interesting to watch things unfold,...a rock containing a bunch of green polyps have started to swell and stock outwards too,...beautiful to see.
I also have notice that I haven't got near the amount of nuisance algae on the glass either using these lights... :- ). ... I'm also switching my salt mix from the cheap coral life blend to the red sea pro mix simply because of all the added corals ,..who knows what tomorrow may bring but that's my report for today....

Funny the way different organisms react in different ways just from a light source

I might postulate that the led lenses focus the energy more efficiently downward onto the reef and the glass sides get less light than they did.

Gregcoyote said:
I might postulate that the led lenses focus the energy more efficiently downward onto the reef and the glass sides get less light than they did.

....Greg ,..that's what I like about you,..you're a good "postulator".. Lol.....makes sense too me,..but whatever the reason,..I like it!

ryan-peddle said:
Funny the way different organisms react in different ways just from a light source

Hey Ryan how you doing these days???..... Yep,...I'm enjoying the whole atmosphere of what's going on ,...nothing like seeing and doing things for yourself ,..i think my personal experiences on this endeavor might help someone else who's following along but can't quite make up their minds yet,..mr x was talking about the LED's on another thread and even HE seems to be getting interested in them too..,but cautions about buying the cheapies for a reef set up,..the ones I got were pushing a grand really closely ( you could buy a six pack with the change.. !!! )
...but that's just what it is,..too soon for the judge to put down the gavel yet but I like what I see.

Dary421 said:
Hey Ryan how you doing these days???..... Yep,...I'm enjoying the whole atmosphere of what's going on ,...nothing like seeing and doing things for yourself ,..i think my personal experiences on this endeavor might help someone else who's following along but can't quite make up their minds yet,..mr x was talking about the LED's on another thread and even HE seems to be getting interested in them too..,but cautions about buying the cheapies for a reef set up,..the ones I got were pushing a grand really closely ( you could buy a six pack with the change.. !!! )
...but that's just what it is,..too soon for the judge to put down the gavel yet but I like what I see.

I am doing great Dary you?? I always say you get what you pay for so a grand for a light and six pack you should see it from the moon and the six pack might get you half way lol I seen some of the 998$ + LEDs really nice fixtures and for that price I am sure they will work great

Glad all in going well

I agree that there are many bad units out there. Some are not even wired right. But the technology is brain dead simple from an electronic point of view. There are bargains out there, and those are what I am using because I am basically cheap. I researched it a lot and found a supplier that I am happy with...so far. I have gone for many, many 1 watt LEDs, rather than fewer higher powered parts. Dary has a more sophisticated fixture than mine are, so I guess it was a bit higher in price. I hope Dary has a good experience as well. Anyone using these should post their experiences with both good and bad units, as well as how a broad selection of corals respond. They decrease in price every year, so soon, they will be the predominant light source just from an economy/environmental impact. MH and T5 isn't going anywhere, but for many they are too much expense and trouble.

Gregcoyote said:
I agree that there are many bad units out there. Some are not even wired right. But the technology is brain dead simple from an electronic point of view. There are bargains out there, and those are what I am using because I am basically cheap. I researched it a lot and found a supplier that I am happy with...so far. I have gone for many, many 1 watt LEDs, rather than fewer higher powered parts. Dary has a more sophisticated fixture than mine are, so I guess it was a bit higher in price. I hope Dary has a good experience as well. Anyone using these should post their experiences with both good and bad units, as well as how a broad selection of corals respond. They decrease in price every year, so soon, they will be the predominant light source just from an economy/environmental impact. MH and T5 isn't going anywhere, but for many they are too much expense and trouble.

Greg,.. Nice to have someone here that's gone thru the whole learning build before me,... There's So much for me to learn,...I don't pretend to know all the answers , but I sure do have lots of question for those that do.... I'm just enjoying the ride along.

Hey hope you don't mind me tagging along for the ride too :) Never know if I may end up doing the diy stuff ya know.

Buffy said:
Hey hope you don't mind me tagging along for the ride too :) Never know if I may end up doing the diy stuff ya know.

Hi ya Buffy ,... Hey we always like to stop and pick up a hitch hiker every now and then,.... Have a seat and buckle up

ryan-peddle said:
I am doing great Dary you?? I always say you get what you pay for so a grand for a light and six pack you should see it from the moon and the six pack might get you half way lol I seen some of the 998$ + LEDs really nice fixtures and for that price I am sure they will work great

Glad all in going well

Ryan is that a picture of your kid as your avatar??? ....cute as a mushroom I'd say !!! ..... Re the LED's..... The new lfs that I just visited are changing over from the m h and flor lights to LED's ..... Their " frag" department ,..( rather extensive) ,..have been under them for a year now and they could not be happier with the results ,.... They spoke very highly of the fixtures that I got ,...pretty nice to hear some positives from the people who actually make their living selling what these lights produce. ...still have my fingers crossed though,...

slitherbomb said:
Today I went to my lfs and bought a lot of coral, and I saw a green mushroom for only $8 and bought it because of you lol

Wow!!! ...the sickness is truly spreading,.... Bet you won't be able to stop at just one!! .... Some of the more exotic ones are pretty fascinating to behold....mushrooms basically don't require a whole lot of care,...just give them a nice low quiet area in your tank with out too much water flow and they'll be very happy .... Congrats on the corals!!!!

You can end up with too many. They go into growing spurts I started with a few dozen and now have hundreds. They cover most of my rock surfaces that dont have other coral on it. The other corals tolerate them well.

Back
Top Bottom