Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you just happen to melt a spider you might not mention it to Doug :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Smoked out my last couple of aptasias that I could find with the ol' laser this am after a pwc, I know Doug has had very limited success with his laser he bought but this one so far seems to knock em out, Greg has the same laser but thicker and older acrylic and seems to have had some issues with killing aptasias with his , And you're right Greg , it really doesn't waste much time burning up cardboard does it ? It's interesting to see just what and how it performs on different objects,... On Some things there seems to be no effect at all and other objects like cardboard it just goes to town on , rather interesting !

So, maybe try a different color? Red?

Greg knows a heck of a lot more than us on this subject but will your laser burn paper / cardboard from a couple of feet away ? On mine once I focus the beam down its kinda scary

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, I think blue is still the most effective color. In my case I have enough energy (although those batteries are a joke) but too much beam scattering. It defiantly hurts the anemone, but doesn't fry him at this point. I have a few ideas yet. Haven't tried it after stopping all flow for a few minutes. That might do the trick.

I think the distortion from the water surface layer is worse than thru the glass. Most all of these 2watt and 2.5w blue lasers were designed for blue ray writers/players. That's why the beam starts as a dash instead of a point. You have to pull focus to get a point when close up. That's about as strong as is easily available. The YouTube videos always raised my suspicions as the pests literally exploded when hit. This laser does mess them up, but not destroy them. Again, I am also suspicious that these batteries are garbage. They are junk in flashlights so probably not making enough power in the laser.

I may make a underwater housing with a thin piece of optical glass for the laser to shine thru. That way I could focus within inches.

Last edited:
I am trying this with no flow and top down, about 2" from the anemones....not through glass. Not happening for me.

I think the distortion from the water surface layer is worse than thru the glass.

I may make a underwater housing with a thin piece of optical glass for the laser to shine thru. That way I could focus within inches.

So what about doing it like X but in a glass(drinking type ) with clearest bottom?
Or a diving mask!!!?

I just burned a hole in a zucchini squash from a couple of feet away .... About two seconds worth of beam on my painted aquarium stand causes it to smoke ... Maybe not all lasers are created equal but I'm convinced that it's focusing that bean that make the difference in performance ... I have had no trouble killing aptasias so far

that was my first thought when you guys first started discussing lasers.
Seems to be the best solution, no degradation from the glass/acrylic and the pin-point accuracy decreases the risk to other critters.

you could use a length of 1/2" rigid clear plastic tubing the required length and glue a lens on one end, secure the laser inside and then use a length of something like 1/4" rigid tubing to manipulate the switch.
you could even rig it up like a syringe to work the switch.

Personally , it works great for me out of the box , I started off with prob about 20 aptasias that I couldn't get with the aptasias x and now I really have to hunt around to find one to blast ,... Hence that's why the zucchinis " are on high alert " lol , not sure why all the discrepancies but mine works great . Focus ,focus ,focus

Last edited:
Not too much going on in my tank world of interest ,.. I cleared out a few more of the hairy mushrooms that are getting to be a total pain in the butt , on a positive note the bubble coral that I got a couple of months back is doing well and has expanded 3-4x it's original size and looking healthy , the little orange hammer coral that came at the same time likewise seems happy and healthy , my surviving Martian chalice is also seemingly fully recovered and looking happy ,..And if the Martian chalice is happy then Dary's happy too! Amazing what happens when your alk and calcium is back up to snuff !! :)

They are totally invasive and once they get going there's no stopping them ... They choke out and smother anything in their way .., the only way I've found out how to get them out is by using something like a chisel to try and cut them off the Rock they've moved to and my god do they ever stink when you remove them from the water !!! Fortunately they're pretty chewed up by then... I don't think I'd even send these to my worst enemy !!! I was hoping that my laser would nuke em but nah it doesn't

Last edited:
Ill try not to fat finger it this time, have tried aiptasia x it seems to work on other soft bodied pests and if it doesn't no harm done, I can't imagine trying to chisel away at something in my tank

Ill try not to fat finger it this time, have tried aiptasia x it seems to work on other soft bodied pests and if it doesn't no harm done, I can't imagine trying to chisel away at something in my tank

Interesting idea ...It's the one thing I wish I never put into my tank ... If it'll only stay in one spot then maybe I'd tolerate it BUT it doesn't ... I'm going to try the laser again

Back
Top Bottom