Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have basically the same problem any camera has below about 50' lack of any color but blue and green. LEDs are even worse because of lack of spectrum. For growing coral it's no big deal but for photography it is. Have you tried turning the blues down or off for pictures?

You have basically the same problem any camera has below about 50' lack of any color but blue and green. LEDs are even worse because of lack of spectrum. For growing coral it's no big deal but for photography it is. Have you tried turning the blues down or off for pictures?

Yes , I tried that but it was a pain in the butt for what you got ,... the sunglasses [emoji41] worked so good I can't imagine doing it any other way ,.... as I said before ,when it comes to photography on a scale of one to ten ,I'm a idiot !

Kind of a weird observation ,..I typically I head off to work every morning at about 2:40 am ,I pass my tank on the way to the door and notice that my powder blue tang is always out and about and usually high in the tank holding its own in the current . All the other critters have seemingly all found places to 'sleep ' except for him , maybe being a surge zone critter this is their way of relaxing the night away ,...anybody else notice this behavior from their powder blue ?..... they seemingly never sleep .

Last edited:
A oh crap moment this morning when I started to do my pwc when I noticed that a couple of my chalices were pretty bleached out ,... whoa !! Not good !!! ... then I noticed that my skimmer was dead in the water ( no pun intended ) ,.... I run a seaside aquatic skimmer powered by a jebao D.C. Motor and quite frankly it's been the best performing skimmer I've ever owned except that the weak link seems to be in either the motor or the electronics powering it up ,...a year or two back the same thing happened and I quickly ordered a new motor and she's been running like a top up until now,..... tomorrow is one of my shops fishing trips where we charter out one of our boats to go out and spend the day fishing for yellowtail ,so I'll be gone for the whole day !!! I quickly ordered a " updated " ,improved version of the motor which will arrive on Wednesday !!! .... I just changed out about 20 gals of water so hopefully , that'll hold things at bay for a day or two until I can change out the motor ,. What a pain in the butt !! Hopefully, maybe the chalices can recover when everything gets back to ' normal ' again .,.... everything else looks good .. the chalices must be the parakeets in the coal mine . Time for a cold one !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are very sensitive in my opinion. Alkalinity can also nuke them. It's a coral I just don't concentrate on anymore. DC systems have the issue of drivers that can die and motors that can be a bit finicky, but it should have lasted far longer than it did.

Whew !!! My " new and improved " jedbao DCT 6000 pump came in today and thru some clever swapping out of parts with the old Pump I managed to retro fit it into my seaside aquatic skimmer ,.... I took a giant sigh of relief followed immediately by an ice cold adult beverage when she powered up started working as intended . Unfortunately, it's got a lot of catching up to do just to get back to where it was, I'm not sure if my two chalices will make it out alive or not ,.... totally sucks cuz they were really growing well before the skimmer died. I guess sometimes we underestimate just how important devices such as a skimmer can be towards the welfare of your tank . This has been a big relief for me today !!! Image1499890859.865397.jpg

Greg ,..have you ever had to replace the plastic mesh on your ato ? And if so what did you get ?

There is another name for the stuff...my mom told me what it was when I DIY'd my old one. It was something to do with crochet or something...I got it from a JoAnn Fabrics.

Hmmmm ,... interesting ... I may check into that too . , although , this was like $5 for the 2 pieces , that's not too bad of a deal either

Back
Top Bottom